Propecia/Proscar Side Effects

Hi guys,

I have been using Finasteride for about 2 and a half months and up until 2 weeks ago I haven't seem to be experiencing any of the unwanted sexual side effects. Though over the past fortnight I have noticed a decrease in libido. Like most 21 year olds, I used to have sex on the mind for most of the day but have recently found myself a little uninterested. I found this a bit of shock as I was under the impression that Finasteride side effects would be noticeable within the first 2 to 4 weeks, if they were going to occur.

I currently take one quarter Proscar tablet (1.25mg) instead of the Propecia to save on the costs associated with using the drug. Since noticing these undesirable effects, I have started cutting the tablet into fifths. My first question is: are the side effects directly proportional to the dosage taken every day?

For those of you who have or who do experience these side effects, did they begin to not become as prominent as your treatment continued?

Also, have any of you guys had any success with any over the counter supplements to counter-act the effects?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi guys,

I have been using Finasteride for about 2 and a half months and up until 2 weeks ago I haven't seem to be experiencing any of the unwanted sexual side effects. Though over the past fortnight I have noticed a decrease in libido. Like most 21 year olds, I used to have sex on the mind for most of the day but have recently found myself a little uninterested. I found this a bit of shock as I was under the impression that Finasteride side effects would be noticeable within the first 2 to 4 weeks, if they were going to occur.

I currently take one quarter Proscar tablet (1.25mg) instead of the Propecia to save on the costs associated with using the drug. Since noticing these undesirable effects, I have started cutting the tablet into fifths. My first question is: are the side effects directly proportional to the dosage taken every day?

For those of you who have or who do experience these side effects, did they begin to not become as prominent as your treatment continued?

Also, have any of you guys had any success with any over the counter supplements to counter-act the effects?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi

I've been on Propecia for 5 years with zero side effects. I think it is a psychologically driven population who expericences the sexual side effects although I can't speak for you

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Merck has acnowledged roughly 2% of the test group for Propecia that had side effects. This is a very small margin. However, I do think that some people are prone to have side effects.

Many posters have found that their decreased libido has subsided after some time. Perhaps you may want to give it a few more months? Definitely talk to your physician if you are very concerned and think the side-effects are overly troublesome. The good news is that Propecia has a relatively short half-life meaning that side effects should dissipate shortly after use of the medication is discontinued.

You can try L-Arginine to counter the negative effects due to its vasodilating properties. Arginine will act to increase the diameter of blood vessels, thereby allowing increased blood flow to reach constricted areas.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

I have been taking Proscar quarters daily for around three months now, and I have experienced the side effects from about the first week or two. I have continued taking it, but I am still experiencing side effects. Lucky me - in the 2% of patients who get side effects...

I'd be keen to hear from other users if they have had side effects as it appears that there is not alot of people on this site who have had them (statistically I guess this makes sense).

My concern is that whilst I would consider a hair transplant, what is the point if I have to go off Proscar?

Very frustrating.....

Nevada51,

Welcome to the Hair Restoration Research Forums.

As I stated above, you could try OTC supplementation such as L-Argenine to help combat the side effects. From my experience, it only takes about a week of taking it to see a difference. It just may help.

Also, many users report that side effects dissipate over time. Now, I am not saying that this will or will not happen with you, but it could be a possibility.

If the sides continue, perhaps you should speak to a physician about it, possibly discontinue finasteride, and look into other medications for hair loss.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by outhere:

I used to have sex on the mind for most of the day but have recently found myself a little uninterested.

Now maybe you can get some things done! :-)

I've been taking 1/2 tab of Proscar (for reasons I stated in another post) for 14 months. I did notice a decrease in my libido for what seemed like a little over a year. But lately, I've been horny as h*ll. I'm 44, so I'm not sure if the Proscar was totally to blame!