minoxidil dependent hairs

Approximately how long does it take to make hairs (transplanted or not) dependent on minoxidil? Are we talking months, years, etc?

I had an HT to the front of my head about a year ago, and it was great until about 3 months ago when I noticed the hair behind the transplanted hair was thinning. I started using Rogaine 5% once a day for about 2 months, and at that time the hair started looking horrid. Incredibly thin. I stopped using the Rogaine about 2 weeks ago, and the transplanted hair has gotten even thinner. At first, I thought it was just the existing hair that I had before the HT that was being lost, but there wasn't much there to begin with and now I know that too much has been lost to have it just be the existing hair.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Approximately how long does it take to make hairs (transplanted or not) dependent on minoxidil? Are we talking months, years, etc?

I had an HT to the front of my head about a year ago, and it was great until about 3 months ago when I noticed the hair behind the transplanted hair was thinning. I started using Rogaine 5% once a day for about 2 months, and at that time the hair started looking horrid. Incredibly thin. I stopped using the Rogaine about 2 weeks ago, and the transplanted hair has gotten even thinner. At first, I thought it was just the existing hair that I had before the HT that was being lost, but there wasn't much there to begin with and now I know that too much has been lost to have it just be the existing hair.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

If some of the transplanted hairs shed during the use of Rogaine, would they grow back even though I'm not using it anymore? Should I get back on it?

Huron,

I haven't heard of this. Perhaps it has something to do with the life-cycle of your hair. It could be going into a resting phase, but it seems unusual that they are all going into it at the same time. Have you contacted your doctor, and/or does your family history show that you would've likely lost the hair behind the transplant anyway. Let me know.

Manko

My doctor was gone this week and next. So I can't even see him until the end of May.

The hair that is thinning is the hair that was actually transplanted, not the hair behind that. The hairline was receded to begin with, and now it's receded even more. I'm in big time panic mode. Not sure if the transplanted hairs will grow back w/o minox. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

This does not sound like it has anything to do with minoxidil, rather shock loss. Maybe the other guys can comment but from what you have said it sounds like shock loss. It would be in the right time frame that Shock can occur.

This does not sound like it has anything to do with minoxidil, rather shock loss. Maybe the other guys can comment but from what you have said it sounds like shock loss. It would be in the right time frame that Shock can occur.

I had recently posted a question in the non-surgical section kind of related to yours.

I've also read and have been told ( by at least 2 doctors) that when you use minoxidil your hair does become "dependent" as you stated. In my case before my HT, I had used rogaine for a lengthy period of time, and when I stopped using it, I experienced a GREAT deal of hair loss.....to the point where many people noticed and even said something about it. When I got my intial HT consultation, my doctor told me that it was most likely due to coming off rogaine and that many people experience the same.

One of my questions was whether or not you should use rogaine after an HT. Obviously if you have pre-HT existing hairs and quit using rogaine, they are probably going to fall out. My major concern was getting on the minoxidil cycle, and then losing the HT hairs as well.

Even if you dont ever quit rogaine, I'd heard that it had more or less a "shelf life" for you hair...that after 2 years or so, your hair was adjusted to it, so it was like not taking it at all. (ok...quick side note here...does this sound like drug use? is rogaine the new crack? your hair gets addicted to it, then it gets used to it so it needs a stronger fix so you bump up to extra strength...etc....hmmmmmmmmmmm)

If anyone knows for sure that I'm wrong or right, please feel free to correct me. I've chosen to stay only with propecia after my HT. I dont wanna get the new grafts hooked on minoxidil. My advice to you....just say no to rogaine.

I had recently posted a question in the non-surgical section kind of related to yours.

I've also read and have been told ( by at least 2 doctors) that when you use minoxidil your hair does become "dependent" as you stated. In my case before my HT, I had used rogaine for a lengthy period of time, and when I stopped using it, I experienced a GREAT deal of hair loss.....to the point where many people noticed and even said something about it. When I got my intial HT consultation, my doctor told me that it was most likely due to coming off rogaine and that many people experience the same.

One of my questions was whether or not you should use rogaine after an HT. Obviously if you have pre-HT existing hairs and quit using rogaine, they are probably going to fall out. My major concern was getting on the minoxidil cycle, and then losing the HT hairs as well.

Even if you dont ever quit rogaine, I'd heard that it had more or less a "shelf life" for you hair...that after 2 years or so, your hair was adjusted to it, so it was like not taking it at all. (ok...quick side note here...does this sound like drug use? is rogaine the new crack? your hair gets addicted to it, then it gets used to it so it needs a stronger fix so you bump up to extra strength...etc....hmmmmmmmmmmm)

If anyone knows for sure that I'm wrong or right, please feel free to correct me. I've chosen to stay only with propecia after my HT. I dont wanna get the new grafts hooked on minoxidil. My advice to you....just say no to rogaine.

so are we saying that minoxidil is a no no str8 after a HT.... Does the shock loss ever grow back fully???

Matthew,

Do you really think this is shock loss. He had his transplant a year ago, I thought any shock loss grew back in a one year time frame. I think it's kind of unusual. Huron mentions that the hair behind the transplant was thinning, and I thought that might just be genetic.

Huron, I wouldn't worry too much about the transplanted hair, I would think that would definitely grow in. I think you're going to have to wait for your doctor to get back though to get some comforting answers. Just out of curiosity how many grafts did you wind up getting?

Let us know how it works out.

Manko

LL, I'm not saying anything for sure...I'd really like to hear from some of the more veteran guys from the site or perhaps another doctor as to what is right. What I wrote is what I have read/heard ( from websites/doctors) on my own. As I said before here and in the non-surgical message board section very recently was that I had used rogaine for awhile, and when I stopped I had a severe amount of hair loss.

I agree that I wouldn't think that Huron's case is shock loss. It has been a year since his HT and it wouldn't seem likely.

I have an appointment in two weeks to go see the doc. I'm just worried that it is going to get worse before then.

Can hairs become dependent on minox in 2 months? That seems absurd to me. But, I look in the mirror and my hairline is just about gone. My only hope is that it was a shed and not a permanent loss, but I'm not optimistic on this one.

Manko, the HT was only about 600 grafts.