Antibiotics before and after sugery

your doctor will prescribe that for you. when i did mine, i had just one big "horse pill" antibiotic that i was to take with breakfast the morning of my surgery. that was all that was prescribed, however in my case, i seemd to ooze blood from several of my the graft sites for an extended period (long into the evening). it worried me about possible infection and i asked for and got an additonal 3-day course of antibiotic capsules. but the surgeon clearly felt it was unnecessary. i had no infection problems and believe it is unusual to happen.

hope this helps.

If you don't have any allergies, it probably doesn't matter much. It's really just a prophylactic (no, not THAT kind!). There are some web sites that provide descriptions of these drugs if you're really interested.

Since there is such a rich blood supply to the scalp, infection from hair restoration surgery is very rare. Only about half the doctors that peform this type of surgery use antibiotics. I tend to air on the side of better safe than sorry.

I use Keflex 500mg twice daily for three days, beginning the day of surgery, and have never had a problem with infections.Keflex is ggod at preventing skin infections and is very reasonable.