Question about shockloss

Can someone tell me if shockloss can affect areas of the head where no work was done? IOW, can you have shock on top if you only had hairline work done? Also, is it possible that shock can be delayed? Meaning start months after the procedures instead of immediately after?

Thanks in advance

Can someone tell me if shockloss can affect areas of the head where no work was done? IOW, can you have shock on top if you only had hairline work done? Also, is it possible that shock can be delayed? Meaning start months after the procedures instead of immediately after?

Thanks in advance

From what I understand is it primarily effects the area where the grafts were placed. And that is what my doctor explained to me. I have heard a couple posters say their doctor indicated that it could happen anywhere on the head, but I don't think I've heard any particular poster have that actually happen. So from what I take from that is that there might be a very small chance it can happen anywhere on the head, but rare. I have not heard of any cases where shockloss occurred after about 2.5 months.

I've had two surgeries. In both cases I experienced high-moderate shock loss in the non- transplanted areas. I know some docs say this doesn't happen, but it has happened to me twice. The first time this happened, I posted the same question about shock loss outside the transplaned areas. Several other people posted and said the same thing had happened to them. Fortunately, the hair in the non-transplanted areas grew back over the course of several months. The skin on my face also took a nasty turn after both surgeries. My dermatologist said that he was pretty sure it was a natural, temporary reaction to the stress of surgery.

Thanks Paul. I am already a few months post op and the top isn't showing much recovery yet. I only had work done up front. Hopefully it will turn around by the 5 month mark.

Thanks again.

Nomoe....today i'm exactly 9 weeks post op from my 1500 strip HT. I've posted a few questions before about shockloss as well, and it's been my only worry as of late. I've not experienced any that I can tell. No one has really been able to tell me how late it can begin, but I really hope I'm past the point where it would begin. If I notice it starting late at any point, I'll be sure to post the time frame for you.

Nc30 "No one has really been able to tell me how late it can begin"

I alway's wanted to know this to. How long after the transplant can shock loss start. Has anyone ever got it 5,6 or more month's after the transplant ?

I think I got shock loss that late - if that is what it actually is. My dermatologist called it telogen effluvium. My growth started at 2.5 months, loss started at 3 months, and still loosing. I lost transplants and old hair. I am now 8 months post-op, and waiting it out for regrowth - hopefully!

Purpella.....thanks for mentioning that...I think. I had really hoped I was in the safe zone, and when I read your post, I swear I could hear my grafts scream. Tefflogen effluvium is indeed the medical term I believe.

Purpella, how much loss did you have? How large was your HT? At 8 months are you basically where you started? Are you at a net hair loss currently?

Does anyone know if shock loss is more common to occur at the beginning growth of the new hair---seeing as now the old hairs are competing for blood,space, etc with the new hairs?

I lost alot of hair to the point where I look worse now then before the procedure. At the worst point I was loosing 200+ hairs a day - all lengths, transplanted & non, and even in areas where there was no work done. I am still loosing hair but at a slower rate - maybe 125/day. I look really bad but there is nothing I can do but wait now.

As far as I heard, shock loss is more common in the beginning.