advice on scabs

Hi,

I noticed after day 5 or 6 that some of the scabs started to fall off, especially on the temple areas where there's only single grafts implanted. I also noticed that one side of my forehead region was shedding more than the other. In other words, the right side still looks like I have a crew cut as oppossed to the left side which looks thinner with more spaces. I'm in day 9 now and would like to know if this could be a normal pattern? Also, what does it mean when the instructions say no picking or forcing off the scabs. I know what not picking at the scabs mean but sometimes I can't help but run my fingers over my scalp, especially the forehead and a scab comes with it. I don't feel like I'm forcing it off but the scab or scabs seem to come off quite easy with hair on it. They almost look like the implants. In fact, some regions of my procedure don't even look like anything's been done to them. On the other hand, I hope I'm just a fast healer considering that the techs that helped with the surgery said that I was an ideal patient because the implanted hairs went in rather easy and quickly because I had no bleeding? They even ststed tht they underestimated the surgery time. Thanks for any input.

Hi,

I noticed after day 5 or 6 that some of the scabs started to fall off, especially on the temple areas where there's only single grafts implanted. I also noticed that one side of my forehead region was shedding more than the other. In other words, the right side still looks like I have a crew cut as oppossed to the left side which looks thinner with more spaces. I'm in day 9 now and would like to know if this could be a normal pattern? Also, what does it mean when the instructions say no picking or forcing off the scabs. I know what not picking at the scabs mean but sometimes I can't help but run my fingers over my scalp, especially the forehead and a scab comes with it. I don't feel like I'm forcing it off but the scab or scabs seem to come off quite easy with hair on it. They almost look like the implants. In fact, some regions of my procedure don't even look like anything's been done to them. On the other hand, I hope I'm just a fast healer considering that the techs that helped with the surgery said that I was an ideal patient because the implanted hairs went in rather easy and quickly because I had no bleeding? They even ststed tht they underestimated the surgery time. Thanks for any input.

don't worry...the scabs don't fall off in any particular pattern. If you look at some previous posts of mine, I had really bad crusting and it come off looking like the roots of a tree icon_biggrin.gif.

When the cursting comes off, it separates itself from the scalp but is still stuck to the hair sometimes. Thats what you're seeing when you run your fingers through your hair. When you're shampooing and your hair is wet you should be able to VERY GENTLY work out the crusting. Bill has some good instructions on how to do this, in his FAQ. Most of the crusts will be on their way out shortly, followed by the transplanted hair icon_frown.gif.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got a 2400 FUT 11 days ago, I actually began to gently wash my hair today. (I was simply patting it with shampoo and water for the initial 10 days). When I began to wash it I noticed a lot of transplanted hair coming out within white skin. I know that crusting is normal, and it is expected that hairs will fall out, but I saw a lot of white and even fatty looking substances completely covering some of my tranplanted hairs. I am wondering if I just had a dry scalp or if they did not properly insert the graft. This is the first time I really rubbed my scalp at all. Some tranplanted hairs came out together in two's and three's..the way that I am assuming they put them in, in the crown area. It almost looked liek a hair graft.

I hope I am just really paranoid, but is it at all possible that after 11 days I could lose a graft? Quite a few tranplanted hairs came out, but I feel like there is still a lot of tranplanted hair left in my scalp and that this might continue to happen.

There was no bleeding and I was rubbing pretty gently in circular motions in the shower. Should I be concerned? Can I wash it normally now (continue rubbing it gently to take out the scab?) Is it at all possible that I lost a graft or will all the hairs that came out grow back?

Looking forward to your response and some peace of mind. Thanks

buccap, I think you are just seeing some shockloss so don't stress too much. It will continue for a few more weeks likely. Even when the newly planted hairs start coming in you will likely see uneven growth initially. Not to worry tho as things will fill in more evenly as the HT matures. As far as the scabs go, you should follow up on badger's advice to review Bill's instructions. They're pretty detailed and should answer most of your questions.

Btw, I also had some shedding on my first month and the hairs would be attached to some skin(fatty substance) but this was not a graft. I had a graft come off around day 3 or 4 and it hurt and bled and looked like a graft. The loss of other hairs with "some" skin attached did not hurt, nor did it bleed. So, unless it hurts and bleeds after, you are fine.

All the best.