post op showering question

K, my post op instructions are kinda hard for me to follow, can anyone help it states. I had my suregery on Friday, June 23rd

2nd day after surgery

Take a shower. Don't let water pressure hit grafts directly for the next 3 days. Using your shampoo, create a lather on the side and back of your head where the grafts are not present. Rub with suds gently along the suture area with fingers. Take some suds and place into 16 oz. platic cup filled with water. Gently pour over graft area. Repeat several times. You must do this to keep the area clean of excess grease build up. Do not be timid. Rinse with plastic cup and water to get all suds out. You may let water hit grafts if covered by a wash cloth.

ok, so does this mean wear a washcloth over my grafts as I pour water on it? Or just if I am standing under the actually showerhead have a washcloth? anyones else's experiences at this time would be great! thanks

K, my post op instructions are kinda hard for me to follow, can anyone help it states. I had my suregery on Friday, June 23rd

2nd day after surgery

Take a shower. Don't let water pressure hit grafts directly for the next 3 days. Using your shampoo, create a lather on the side and back of your head where the grafts are not present. Rub with suds gently along the suture area with fingers. Take some suds and place into 16 oz. platic cup filled with water. Gently pour over graft area. Repeat several times. You must do this to keep the area clean of excess grease build up. Do not be timid. Rinse with plastic cup and water to get all suds out. You may let water hit grafts if covered by a wash cloth.

ok, so does this mean wear a washcloth over my grafts as I pour water on it? Or just if I am standing under the actually showerhead have a washcloth? anyones else's experiences at this time would be great! thanks

I've never heard of using a washclothe.

Definitely do not let water from the shower hit your head yet.

Very,very gently wash the grafted area with shampoo suds and gently rinse off with water poured from a cup.

Gently wash the donor area with shampoo.

Make sure your kinda gentle for the first few days then gradually get back to normal washing after 10-14 days.

How was your sleep?

tkerr22,

Congratulations on having a procedure done. I'd contact your surgeon directly if you have any questions so soon after surgery.

I definitely agree with the water pressure not hitting the recipient site - heck I waited nearly two weeks! My directions were slightly different, though.

Stand upright in the shower with the shower on staying clear so that it does not hit your head at all. I used a decently sized plastic (lightweight) bottle and filled it up by placing it under the water pressure. Pour the water onto the head gently - letting water go onto the grafts and donor area. Then, lather some shampoo in your hands and gently rub it into the hair using side-to-side motions over the donor area. With respect to the recipient site (grafts), do not rub at all, but just gently pat them with shampoo in your hands until 'bubbles' form.

Let it sit for a few minutes (5 mins), and then follow with how you started by gently rinsing the suds off. Make sure you are thorough in your rinsing.

There you go! Good luck.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Why not just gently squeez shampoo over the area and then pour a cup of slightly warm water over the area?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog