My Scar?

I am now a few days over a month post op. I'm sitting here looking at my strip scar that is supposed to be 2mm wide. And yah, it ain't 2 mm. It looks pretty wide and not the "pencil thin look" I had expected. Is it still too soon to tell how wide the scar will be? Will it get smaller as it continues to heal? Just kind of wondering what the heck, since I went to a "top surgeon". Do the best in the world ever screw up? I'm just not sure whether or not to be happy about my HT yet.

danger

I am now a few days over a month post op. I'm sitting here looking at my strip scar that is supposed to be 2mm wide. And yah, it ain't 2 mm. It looks pretty wide and not the "pencil thin look" I had expected. Is it still too soon to tell how wide the scar will be? Will it get smaller as it continues to heal? Just kind of wondering what the heck, since I went to a "top surgeon". Do the best in the world ever screw up? I'm just not sure whether or not to be happy about my HT yet.

danger

Danger,

At one month post-op you may be experiencing some shock loss around the scar. This may make it look larger coupled witht he redness that should still be present. I am not saying that is the case but I am just suggesting a possibility.

Also, the scar will fade over time. At one month it is really too early to tell what is going on.

How wide is it? Does it look stretched at all?

Some members on here have touted a scar cream called Maderma(sp?) that may help. Smoothy and/or Gillenator would be the ones to ask about that.

Also, keep stress off of the area. No heavy lifting, excercise, hard labor, etc. All that can stretch that scar.

Keep us updated on your progress.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is still red and I understand that it may be too early to tell for sure. I don't think I have experienced any shock loss yet though. It's just that it does look like it's going to be allot wider than I had anticipated. I'm really hoping that for some reason it gets better. My doc told me it would be absolutely fine to go back to work after 2 weeks post op. I work a manual labour job that does have lifting involved. I actually ended up taking 3 and a half weeks off just to be safe. Maybe I have stretched it. But I was just doing what my doc told me to do. How wide should my scar be? I really want to know if surgeons ever screw up? Cause Like I said... this was a top surgeon. Thanks again and keep the replies coming.

danger

Danger I feel your pain. I think what docs forget to tell us is that "Most" of the time you get a pencil line scar, however there are some that don't because of their scalp tightness. Its BS and Docs should be more honest up front.

TMan,

To prove my point, you and I want to the same Doc in Mass and you had great results however my scar is nothing to brag about. It does matter on who the doctor is but a big portion is the patient and honestly luck that the doc makes the right decision. The Doc suggested staples on a portion of my head and that area has the biggest scar. I question the use of staples in that area. I can't do anything now but live with it or as he says "go back for scar revision" which is basically cut me open again and try your luck again...I don't think so.

Its been 6 weeks post op so I'll give it more time than I will post my pics. East Coast who was your doctor? Sounds like you had a bad experience. I've been using Maderma to hopefully slow down the scarring. Do any of you know when the final width of the scar is determined? The second procedure is definitely different from the 1st procedure. Not everyone has that much skin on the scalp to stretch

If you look in the mirror very closely you can see if the skin is a hard shiny substance...that would be scar tissue and in that area hair will not grow back...do you agree?

Don't want to be a phrophet of doom, but your scar will certainly not get any thinner.

I have read that scars may take up to 12 months to settle.

Some people unfortunately, heal different to others.

It is just the way the cards fall.

Luck of the draw as much as surgeon skill.

I agree with the comment about Drs being a bit more upfront about what could happen.

However, like any commercial activity, advertising is about portraying the business in the best possible light.

With the abundance of people on these ( and other) forums who push the barrow of a particular surgeon,it is easy to find best case scenarios.

Good luck.

Rocky,

I don't think it goes for 12 months. I realize it won't get smaller but hopefully when the redness goes away and the shock loss stops and grows back it won't look bad

Originally posted by eric123:

Rocky,

I don't think it goes for 12 months. I realize it won't get smaller but hopefully when the redness goes away and the shock loss stops and grows back it won't look bad

I think that is what will happen. The redness and the thinner surrounding hair can be kind of an eye-opener but once everything is "settled" you may just be pleasantly suprised.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Also wanted to point out that the scar is really a defined pink line not completely flat. Any suggestions as to why? was it sutured up too tight? if it was sutured up too tight what are the tell tale signs besides a bigger scar?