I Need Your Help

Androgenetic alopecia is also known as <a href = http://www.malepatternbaldness.info/androgenetic-alopecia.php>"Pattern Hair Loss"</a> or <a href = http://www.femalepatternbaldness.com/>"Pattern Balding"</a>. This is because the hair loss in an affected person follows a characteristic pattern (potentially reversible hair miniaturization, which is mostly limited to the central scalp), and hence this name. These names may be less precise, but certainly more inclusive. And so they are more commonly used to describe this disease.

-- Most hair loss is genetic. 90% or more.

-- Most genetic hair loss slowly keeps getting worse for the rest of your life.

-- Most genetic hair loss is irreversible. Once a hair follicle has been dead for a few months or a year, it actually gets a little bit of scar tissue in it. By then, that hair is never coming back. Don't believe anyone or any product that claims otherwise.

-- Most products advertised to help or prevent hair loss are worthless. 98% of it does not make a very noticeable difference, and 95% of it is total ripoffs that do nothing at all.

-- Propecia, Avodart, Minoxodil, and Nizoral are the only drugs/products that will do much of anything at slowing down the rate of hair loss. (But all of those drugs/products need to be researched a little before you jump in and start using them, though. For exmaple, Propecia & Avodart can have sexual side effects that may even be PERMANENT in a few people.)

Hair transplants are a more permanent fix. They won't bring your hair back but they can at least help to make your hair loss much less noticeable. Transplanted hair basically "works." It almost always keeps on growing normally, and it won't go bald again later like the original hair in that spot did.

But . . .

Transplants WILL scar up the skin on your head. No matter what kind of transplant, you will see some kind of scarring if you shave your head later on.

The vast majority of the doctors/businesses that do transplants are not good at it. Many are flat-out unethical and they will lie to you and scar your head up much worse than if you never did anything about the hair loss at all. Be VERY wary of any place you see on a TV infomercial.

Getting a transplant needs A LOT of research before you do anything. And many people still decide never to do it at all because of the scarring & other issues. Some people are better transplant candidates than others.

------------------------------------------------

Clavinmd, Thank you for your honest and unbiased statements in response to Harry jones. You have explained it the way that I didn't do in my posts since I am so upset with the scarring that I have as the result of getting HT. Let's hope that by having said what you have it will stop any more guys from going through with what I and countless others have suffered. I just wish that I had a similar warning.

Photo_1.jpg.14e465a18cead4acfb527e3014984039.jpg

Harry Jones,

I completely agree with CalvinMD,

I recommend that if you are concerned you have Androgenetic Alopecia, to consult with your doctor first. If it is Androgenetic Alopecia, this is a whole different ball game and is best to consult with a doctor for a course of action.

If it's determined to be MPB, I encourage you to research finasteride and minoxodil to see if they can help you. Typically these medicines are pretty good at helping you KEEP the existing native hair you have, but rarely do they work to regrow hair. As CalvinMD said, once the hair follicle is completely dead, nothing will resurrect it.

Hair transplantation surgery MAY be a viable option for you, but research carefully. Hair transplantation is not a cure for hair loss, it only surgically removes hair from one area of your scalp and transplants it somewhere else. With today's technologies and standards, many have received positive results with minimimal scarring. However, scarring is inevitable no matter which method of HT you choose.

Read below for some more information:

----------

Am I a Good Candidate For a Hair Transplant (HT)?

This is a very individualized question, but I'll throw out some general principles to consider:

1. Typically it is recommended for a person thinking about a hair transplant to try medication first. Finasteride and Minoxodil are the only two FDA approved drugs that have proven to be effective to date. Laser Therapy has just been FDA approved, however, it has only been approved for safety. See the following article written and documented by Joe Tillman, a fellow member of the hair transplant network and employee of Hasson and Wong: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...701040113#8701040113.

2. Younger people are typically not good candidates for hair transplantation surgery, however, there can be cases made for it...see "Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant" at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

3. Anyone who has just started to lose their hair is typically not a good candidate for a hair transplant.

4. Diffuse thinners CAN BE good and sometimes the best candidates for a hair transplant typically yielding the most cosmetically pleasing benefit. But be careful...losing more hair could result in a thinner appearance. This is why my number 1 about medication is highly recommended!

5. You will need more grafts for a cosmetically pleasing result in the crown than the hairline and frontal third. This is just the way it is...but that doesn't mean you should not get a transplant for the crown. It just means to strategize appropriately with your use of grafts.

6. People who have stopped losing hair or whose hair loss has slowed down are typically good candidates for a hair transplant.

NOTE: Be sure to educate yourself of the risks before you consider hair transplantation surgery. Risks include but are not limited to: scarring (everyone who goes through surgery will receive a scar - some more obvious than others), shockloss of native hair, temporary swelling of forehead/face, skin irritation and infection in the donor and/or recipient areas, etc.

Some risks are more common than others.

Since each case must be taken individually, however, this list above should only be used as a guide. It is best to consult a hair transplant physician to determine what course of action is right for you. I highly suggest looking at the following link: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp to find a hair transplant doctor right for you. Also see: "How do I choose a Hair Transplant Doctor" at: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=148117

-------

Bill

Androgenetic alopecia is also known as [url = http://www.femalepatternbaldness.com/sudden-hair-loss-women.php] "Pattern Hair Loss" [/code] or [url = http://www.femalepatternbaldness.com/sudden-hair-loss-women.php] "Pattern Balding" [/code]. This is because the hair loss in an affected person follows a characteristic pattern (potentially reversible hair miniaturization, which is mostly limited to the central scalp), and hence this name. These names may be less precise, but certainly more inclusive. And so they are more commonly used to describe this disease.

Very good post

It is important we are objective and state the facts. We might also add that there are many people who have changed their life with good hair transplantation procedures.

The key is to make an educated, well researched choice.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!