PROPECIA QUESTION

wesley949

Good question and welcome to the forums, wesley949.

First of all, it would be fruitless to begin a medicinal treatment if you were not suffering from male-pattern baldness. Propecia alters hormones in the body that are not yet fully understood by modern science. DHT is the culprit behind male-pattern baldness, however it is believed that it plays other key roles as well. For those suffering from MPB, many times the trade-off is worth the risk of long-term exposure to the medication (it is for me, for example). However, to simply take the medication when you don't even know if you are suffering from MPB or not would not be advisable in the least.

Propecia is not without its side effects. For an in-depth article on it and another medication commonly used to treat MPB check out this article that covers them both pretty well.

If you are concerned about whether or not you do, indeed, have male-pattern baldness, please visit a dermatologist that is familiar with MPB. He/she would be able to properly diagnose and prescribe medication as necessary.

Of course, you can always check back with the forums for other medicinal treatments for MPB such as topicals and minoxidil, how others view their efficacy, and how they can help you in the future. Good luck.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog