Propecia And Shedding...?

I've been on Propecia now for just over 4 months. I've noticed some awesome results in that time! My hair loss stopped fairly early on, after about a month and a half, and I have honestly seen a little regrowth. But for the past week now, I've been starting to shed again. Noticeably more so than in the past months. I'm just curious as to why now? Am I shedding because of some new regrowth that'll happen or am I just losing the effectiveness of the Propecia? Just curious, since I was seeing such good results...

Cheers,

danger

I've been on Propecia now for just over 4 months. I've noticed some awesome results in that time! My hair loss stopped fairly early on, after about a month and a half, and I have honestly seen a little regrowth. But for the past week now, I've been starting to shed again. Noticeably more so than in the past months. I'm just curious as to why now? Am I shedding because of some new regrowth that'll happen or am I just losing the effectiveness of the Propecia? Just curious, since I was seeing such good results...

Cheers,

danger

P.S.- I have also just added Nizoral 2% and NANO shampoo to my hair loss regimine. As I've heard that when you add new things to your battle with hair loss, you tend to shed again at first... maybe this is why... not sure though

danger

Hey danger,

I just started taking finasteride (1/4 proscar) and reading your post reminded me of something I came across while doing research on shedding.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/shedding.cfm

I don't have much personal input since I just started taking finasteride myself, however you may still just be shifting over from the resting to the growth phase. I don't think that adding Nizoral to your routine would affect any hair that's re-entered the growth phase already, however perhaps since propecia is more notorious for the crown area the nizoral is stimulating hair that propecia hasn't. If that's the case, than its a good thing, since it means more hair is entering the growth phase. icon_smile.gif

-k

I've been on Propecia for a couple of years now and this is what I've come to believe about the periodic episodes of significant shedding while on Propecia....

Normal hairs have 3 repeating life cycle stages which are growth, rest, and fall-out. Persons not on medication have hairs in every stage at one time and the normal shedding is barely noticeable. When someone starts Propecia, it puts a bunch of hairs into the same stage at the same time. Therefore, all these hairs reach the fall-out stage at the same time and a significant shed is experienced. I've grown to expect (and even welcome) a significant shedding phase every 3 - 4 months now (they used to cause me great anxiety).

trying2moveahead

Awesome! Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like I'm in good shape then hopefully. Yeah, to be honest I was getting a little worried there. But hopefully it's just the start of some signigant regrowth!

Kepping My Fingers Crossed,

danger

Yeah from what I've read it seems that the ones who shed the most typically have the best results!

BTW, I believe I've got similar loss as you based on some of your other posts. I've also got thinning primarily in the crown area (I'm 21, started losing around 19). How much of a difference in the last 4 months would you say you've seen from propecia? Has Toppik been working for you? I've got some but I'm waiting for my hair to grow a little longer as its too short now.

Thanks and good luck!

-k

hey kenyon, what up? Propecia has stopped my hairloss and I am pretty sure I've regrown a bit. Not much, just like the last few months of loss before I went on it I'd say. Crossing my fingers though bro! Man has Toppik been a life saver! I use the medium brown and just some cheap aqua net hairspray. It's awesome! It does leave like a white mist though. I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a way to get rid of that, make my hair color blend better, etc.? I just use toppik because I can't really afford to use the couvre as well. Is toppik better than dermatch or those other cover ups? And is it worth the cash to use the couvre with it? Well, I'm outtie fellas...

Take Care,

danger