Chance of Donor Scar???

I know this is a pro-HT website, but I would like to discuss the possibiliy of having a donor scar after a procedure.

I have confidence that doctors can fill in my hair line and give me enough coverage to be very satisfied. The only real risk I have read about HT is about the chance of a donor scar.

Firstly, is a donor scar just a "perception" issue, where dissatisfied patients are too meticulous? or do some patients actually get larger donor scars?

Next, what % of people get a donor scar? Is this a function of the surgeons skill or is it completely random? What factors could affect getting a scar? Is it better to have large sessions, or multiple smaller sessions? or does it not matter?

I know that scarring can be an issue so want to be best informed on how to avoid any problems.

Thanks! Any help appreciated.

I know this is a pro-HT website, but I would like to discuss the possibiliy of having a donor scar after a procedure.

I have confidence that doctors can fill in my hair line and give me enough coverage to be very satisfied. The only real risk I have read about HT is about the chance of a donor scar.

Firstly, is a donor scar just a "perception" issue, where dissatisfied patients are too meticulous? or do some patients actually get larger donor scars?

Next, what % of people get a donor scar? Is this a function of the surgeons skill or is it completely random? What factors could affect getting a scar? Is it better to have large sessions, or multiple smaller sessions? or does it not matter?

I know that scarring can be an issue so want to be best informed on how to avoid any problems.

Thanks! Any help appreciated.

100% of HT patients have donor scars, the trick is trusting that your doctor has a track record of producing very thin scars so that your hair covers it in any situation. I admit I'm still mildly concerned about this as I am only 3 weeks post-op. Ideally, you would live in the same town as your doctor and he can refer you to several patients who will let you look closely at their heads. I realize this would be kind of a weird request, but I think most HT people would understand and be willing to cooperate.

Sharp,

You will get differing answers on that question, Surgeon skill, amount of scalp stretch/elasticity, # of procedures are all factors. I have only had 1 HT appx 2 years ago, my scar has faded to match my flesh coloring and is very very hard to find, I personally would have no problem with a 2nd procedure - if I were basing the scar damage on my 1st HT.

Some guys have had as many as 5-6 procedures or more, naturally the odds increase with quantity of surgeries as to scar damage. Do you have dense donor area hair ? I think overall "any" possible HT patient needs to get several opinions on donor supply vs. coverage expected. If your ratio of (hair) supply/demand is good, and you get a veteran Physician...you join the pro-HT group. If you have poor donor supply and unrealistically big expectations for coverage....you get the increased scarring and unsatisfying results. Then when you run out of donor hair, life sucks !! You become a whiner and blamer. So be careful up front.

Good Luck !!