Not good candidate for FUE

Access

I sent some photos to one of the popular and respectable doctor here and he stated that I'm not a good candidate for hair transplantation surgery. My Norwood is 5. Should I go to somebody else and get a second opinion or is it basically a verdict?

Thanks

I sent some photos to one of the popular and respectable doctor here and he stated that I'm not a good candidate for hair transplantation surgery. My Norwood is 5. Should I go to somebody else and get a second opinion or is it basically a verdict?

Thanks

Great question.

While it is not a terrible idea to get a second opinion, it is DEFINITELY a terrible idea to shop around until someone finally agrees to perform the procedure. Make sure that the physician(s) that you are consulting is/are reputable and, more importantly, ethical.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In hair restoration terms, an ounce of research and forethought is worth at least four truckloads of repair work and probably more. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions, questions, and more questions if/when a physician does agree to perform a procedure. Not only to him/her but to HT veterans and that physicians' previous patients.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Agree with Robert. Not everybody is a good candidate for a hair transplant... it's not a one-size fits all surgery.

Even a bad candidate can still get a transplant (and there is no shortage of clinics who will welcome you with open arms). But the odds you will be disappointed in the end, are higher. If your odds of disappointment are high, then it's probably best that you accept that, and not forge ahead anyway.

Some of the factors that contribute to making you a less-than-ideal candidate:

poor donor supply

very fine hair

large balding area (now or in your future)

diffuse all-over thinning

crown loss only

scar easily or poor healer

you want all your hair back (as if you don't have male pattern baldness)

you can't really afford multiple surgeries

you are young and are just beginning to lose hair

None of these have to be 'deal killers' on their own (okay maybe a few of them might be). When you start adding these factors up, they should combine to make a red light for some guys. Best to accept that and move on, sometimes.

There are always exceptions, but most guys are going to be average and not exceptional.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that you wrote that you are not a good candidate for "fullicular unit extraction." What about for strip? If I'm not mistaken FUE is more so intended for guys with minimal hair loss. I've seen plenty of NW5 guys get great strip results.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that you wrote that you are not a good candidate for "fullicular unit extraction." What about for strip? If I'm not mistaken FUE is more so intended for guys with minimal hair loss. I've seen plenty of NW5 guys get great strip results.

I'm a little bit afraid of strip method because of the scar.