Telogen effluvium is a condition of losing hair and it may happen due to different stimulations. One example of it is in women who have just delivered a baby. This condition could be reversible, if patient is not prone to some type of genetic hair loss. A microscopic examination of patient's scalp can tell us more about the type of the hair loss. Patients may also need a thorough medical evaluation to rule out the other treatable medical causes of hair loss that are often seen in women.

Telogen effluvium is a condition of losing hair and it may happen due to different stimulations. One example of it is in women who have just delivered a baby. This condition could be reversible, if patient is not prone to some type of genetic hair loss. A microscopic examination of patient's scalp can tell us more about the type of the hair loss. Patients may also need a thorough medical evaluation to rule out the other treatable medical causes of hair loss that are often seen in women.

The most common and severe /cause is a premature hair transplant. Then in decending order from there.

Dr. Rassman I hope you become part of the latest movement and help to kick out the jams so to speak . Much respect - Aquarius

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Telogen effluvium (TE) is a type of hair loss, which is characterized by a diffuse hair shedding. It usually has a rapid onset but a

chronic type is also reported. It is generally a reaction to medications, metabolic and hormonal changes. TE is generally a reversible process, if it happens to normal hair. On the other hand if hair is miniaturized, TE can precipitate the loss that could be irreversible. This is exactly what happens in

shock loss after hair transplant surgery when patients lose their miniaturized hair. Some common causes of TE are:

"?? Hormonal manipulation (e,g, birth control pills)

"?? Medications can rarely cause TE such as beta-blockers, anticoagulants, retinoids (including excess vitamin A), propylthiouracil, and immunization agents.

"?? Allergic contact dermatitis of the scalp

TE of course does occur in women. In those that are having hair transplants, there is a risk of shock loss in women as well as men, but the hair seem to always return in women, not the case in men who have progressive hair loss with considerable miniaturized hairs. In the few women who I have seen reactive hair loss (shock loss) I do not remember one who has not had a full return of the hair that was lost to transplant shock.

Dr. Rassman,

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense. Clearly miniaturized hairs can be permanently shocked! Those hairs that are stronger tend to only experience temporary shockloss.

I was unaware that permanent shockloss is much more rare in women. I wonder if other doctors have had similar experiences as you with that? Additionally...what empirical data, if any, have you collected for your conclusion? Or have you gone through word of mouth, etc? Just wondering...

Bill

Well said- So what you are saying is that men with early onset hairloss are sure to loose more and surgery will accelerate hairloss . I know your experience with your own S/R surgery etc.. What are your thoughts about the criminal elements in your midst?

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Hi Dr. Rassman,

With regards to shock loss, I have experienced it directly below the donor area basically all around my head. Is the potential for loss around that area to be permanent high, or is this area less prone to permanent loss? I am 6 months out and the area is still diffused although it has gotten a little better.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

If you are observant, then you put one and one together. I have never seen a woman who had shock loss that became permanent. What is permanent for women, is the progressive process that occurs in spurts, unlike men where the progressive process is more linier.

If a man takes Finasteride, the frequency and severity of the shock loss is clearly less. I just had a male patient who had shock loss and I realized that this is the first time I have seen it in a few years with someone on finasteride. I still see it on those who do not take finasteride. With regard to the immorality in the business, see the following recent link on baldingblog.com and follow the thread: http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/05/18/more-important-to...ts-welfare-or-money/

TE, when it occurs after the donor strip was removed, almost always returns because this donor hair is not miniaturized unless the patient has DUPA (Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia) or has vascular compromise of the skin around the wound.

• 6 years later...

Hello!

First of all sorry for my english.

I'm 21 years old,male,and I'm losing hair since 2 years,now I think I'm on Norwood 2.I have problem with my nails too,because all of them have vertical ridges plus my toenails and thumbnails have horizontal ridges too.We know that hair and nails are connected soo can my type of hairloss be telogen effluvium?