Required to take medication AFTER an HT to stop more hairloss?

Something I have been wondering is, after a hair transplant, what's to stop you from continuing to lose hair and recede even more?

The majority of my hairloss is in the temple areas. Ideally, I would like to get an HT in a few small sessions only in the temple areas, but my concern is, wouldn't my temples continue to recede after the HT?

Something I have been wondering is, after a hair transplant, what's to stop you from continuing to lose hair and recede even more?

The majority of my hairloss is in the temple areas. Ideally, I would like to get an HT in a few small sessions only in the temple areas, but my concern is, wouldn't my temples continue to recede after the HT?

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. Even with medication you could still continue to lose hair. Sometimes the medication just slows down the loss. Doctors try to combat this problem by placing a more mature hairline. That way, considering a finite donor supply from the back of your head, they can meet future hair loss needs by covering less space. That is why it is not advisable to fill in a young patients temples/hairline to restore them to a youthful level.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

That's the whole story of the hair transplant industry.

Everyone can only lose a certain amount of hair from the "donor area" before it becomes too obvious to take any more from it and the transplants have to stop. If you go totally bald later in life, then your transplantable hair may "run out" before your balded-areas are covered again and leave you with an unnatural appearance. For some men with the most extensive balding patterns, it's simply not wise to get any HTs whatsoever because they can't cover their heads well enough to make it worth it. They decide that their appearance is better off just shaving their whole head down short than trying to wear an extremely thin transplanted look. (The shave-down is no longer an option once you get your first strip-style HT because the line-scar will obviously show without any hair growing in the donor area to hide it.)

This whole issue is why you need to have some sort of idea about predicting your FINAL lifetime hair loss before you get your FIRST hair transplant session. The whole decision to get HTs is a risk. You're betting that your future baldness won't progress far enough to make you prefer a shaved-down look instead of the eventual results of the HT work.

HTs are not something to take lightly. The decision to get the first one has to be made with an educated guess about the baldness situation you'll probably have several decades from now.

And your "donor hair" is always precious. When any of it gets wasted on a bad choice of surgeons (or bad decisions about hairline locations, etc) then those hairs are gone. There's no getting them back no matter how much money reimbursement and/or future HT surgeries that you might be able to get.

------------------------------------------------