Individual hairs

Hello all,

I am 22 years old and i have experienced a resession so my hairline is in sort of a V formation. Now, when that happened i quickly decided to go on propecia, and everything has stopped. The hairs where my hairline start appear dense, but when they are combed down, (towards my eyebrows) they are quite thin and fuzzy.

So this is my question, can individual hairs get thin and stay like that?

Hello all,

I am 22 years old and i have experienced a resession so my hairline is in sort of a V formation. Now, when that happened i quickly decided to go on propecia, and everything has stopped. The hairs where my hairline start appear dense, but when they are combed down, (towards my eyebrows) they are quite thin and fuzzy.

So this is my question, can individual hairs get thin and stay like that?

• Moderators

Individual hairs growing thinner is a sign of hair loss. Normally hair grows for a period of time, then falls out, and a new hair starts to grow in it's place.

With Male Pattern Baldness what generally happens is the hair falls out and grows back in a bit thinner. This usually happens for a few growth cycles. Some hairs may also not grow as long, but sometimes this isn't noticed if you don't grow your hair very long. Eventually after a few cycles of repeated thin growing, the thin hairs don't grow back after they fall out.

It sounds like you caught your hairloss early and have already started propecia. Using propecia and minoxidil can reverse the trend and start making those thin hairs grow a bit thicker and stronger on future growth cycles. A few follicles that have already stopped growing hairs may start growing new ones again, but they will start out as very thin, short hairs. Hopefully over time they will thicken up as well. Sometimes use of the meds just stops further progression, but since you caught it early that may be enough for you.

You have to keep using propecia and minoxidil to continue benefiting from them. Once you stop using them the hair will go back to getting thinner and not growing again.

Good luck.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.