Concealers bad for regrowth after hair transplant?

I am using Dermach and Toppik together and it covers greatly. For saving money I wash my crown area just every 3rd day. Sound strange perhaps, but it's for the money.

I had a HT 4.5 months ago and the density is very low. Some hairs are already 2 cm in the crown, but these are very very few, I nearly cannot see any small hairs growing.

Could one of these two products interfere with the regwrowth? Please help.

I am using Dermach and Toppik together and it covers greatly. For saving money I wash my crown area just every 3rd day. Sound strange perhaps, but it's for the money.

I had a HT 4.5 months ago and the density is very low. Some hairs are already 2 cm in the crown, but these are very very few, I nearly cannot see any small hairs growing.

Could one of these two products interfere with the regwrowth? Please help.

yeah, interesting question..my doc just told me that these concealers could inhibit growth for your just tranplanted hair and original hair as well. these concealers can get deep inside your pores/grafts. I was told to at least wash them at the end of the day to get a clean scalp at bedtime. basically, it's safe to use them but try to at least wash them before you sleep. yeah, i try to save my toppik too but it's not worth risking my hair. right?

• 2 years later...

SO SHOULD YOU USE TOPPIK JUST FOR GOING SPECIAL EVENTS OR DO YOU USE IT EVERY DAY?

YOUR THREAD SEEMS TO BE A GOOD THEORY.

NOW IM BUMMED CAUSE I WAS PLANNING ON USING IT FOR MY SEPT. PROCEDURE.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?

Markcia,

The original poster was leaving his concealers in for much too long and not giving his scalp any room to breathe. Washing only every third day may be more convenient, but it can almost certainly have consequences on scalp health.

As long as you wash your hair and scalp in a timely manner (once a day) you should be fine with concealers.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Definitely run it by your physician, but I would think that it would be wisest to wait until around day 10. I don't know how fast you heal, though, and I am a little overly-cautious so take that into account. icon_smile.gif.

More likely than not, you should be ok with Toppik at that point. For Dermmatch or Couvre' you should really wait longer, though.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi All,

I have heard non of these inhibit growth.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Interesting question. I had a HT with 2800 FUs on June 2005. It is almost 3 months postop and I have seen no growth as of yet (still early though). My fear is that I also have been using DermMatch and Toppik regularly since week 3 postop although I have been washing it out ALMOST every evening before I go to bed to allow my scalp to "breath". I fear that this might affect growth as well. I have emailed 3 consultants this week representing 3 well-known HT places and I have received 2 responses so far. One said that it should be ok if washed out daily. The other said to avoid them altogether as it can damage HTs and even nontransplanted hair. For HTs they said in their experience when used regularly it sometimes only achieve 70% of results. This obviously scares me thinking that I have made a huge mistake and have "wasted" valuable donor tissue. I will keep you all updated. It would be interesting to know how the original poster made out as it was only 4.5 months for him when he posted this. Hopefully over the next few months we can get some answers from people who have had HTs who have used such concelaing agents postoperatively.

Hi

I used Dermatch everyday during my HT ( post 1 week). It made no difference. You will see results from your HT at 6 months no doubt. I'm at a little over 6 months and the results look great! Still have 6 more month until final result

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mrjb for the reassurance. Do you have any pics? It is now about 3.5 months postoop and I am seeing a lot of little hairs in my hairline area where no concealers were used, but little on my midscalp where the dermmatch was applied (unsure if this is because it might be camouflaged by the little bit of existing hair there previously). I stopped using dermmatch about 2 weeks ago but I have continued Toppik. Will keep you posted.

Hi

No pics, but I'm at 7 months and looking forward to the next 5 months of growth. My results are great and I'm already thinking about my next HT or Jan if possible.. I started seeing real results at about 4 months.. I'll need one more procedure to get a full result

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!