Finally did it

I have been quietly watching this board for a few weeks and found it very helpful. I held off awhile from having an HT procedure and finally went ahead and got one. I am from Massachusetts for anyone out there who would like to know. I am in my 12'th day since the procedure and would like to share my experience.

I had a follicular unit procedure done, am a class 3 and hated the thought of losing my hair. My crown was balding and front hairline receding. I had tried Rogaine with some success, but mostly peach fuzz effects. I had 2000 grafts done for coverage and density and my wife is amazed at how clean and good everything looks already. I am on the tail end of using Graftcyte products which seem to have helped the healing and am now using Folligen once a day. I hope I'm not overdoing it. I appreciate all of the information posted here and would like to encourage some replies to this post to give me opinions or ask me questions. I would be happy to provide more detail if asked. Hopefully in a few months I'll be as happy as I am now and I may be one of the lucky ones and keep a percentage of my transplant hair without it falling out. Right now most of the hair is growing (believe it or not!) Please feel free to post replies, I llok forward to any questions or comments.

I have been quietly watching this board for a few weeks and found it very helpful. I held off awhile from having an HT procedure and finally went ahead and got one. I am from Massachusetts for anyone out there who would like to know. I am in my 12'th day since the procedure and would like to share my experience.

I had a follicular unit procedure done, am a class 3 and hated the thought of losing my hair. My crown was balding and front hairline receding. I had tried Rogaine with some success, but mostly peach fuzz effects. I had 2000 grafts done for coverage and density and my wife is amazed at how clean and good everything looks already. I am on the tail end of using Graftcyte products which seem to have helped the healing and am now using Folligen once a day. I hope I'm not overdoing it. I appreciate all of the information posted here and would like to encourage some replies to this post to give me opinions or ask me questions. I would be happy to provide more detail if asked. Hopefully in a few months I'll be as happy as I am now and I may be one of the lucky ones and keep a percentage of my transplant hair without it falling out. Right now most of the hair is growing (believe it or not!) Please feel free to post replies, I llok forward to any questions or comments.

Nervousd

First of all I'm glad youre happy with your HT, congrats. I'm also from Massachusetts. Who did your HT? How many days until you went back to work? How many days post op, did it take until the HT was not noticeable? Did you take 2 weeks off from work?

Hi guys, I am from Ma too. Where did you guys go? I need a good doctor! I also just got some FNS from osmotics.com. I heard good things about it.

I had my HT done by Dr. Matt Leavitt at MHR in Wellesley. I went back to work 2 days after the procedure and I was careful for those 5 work days about being seen alot. By this week it is not even noticeable by anyone that anything was done to my hair. So thankfully I did not take any time off of work. If I did it all over again I might take 5 days off just to prevent the nervousness that anyone would be able to tell. I'm thrilled that no one did notice this time so I guess it was OK.

Yes I did, I went to Bosley in Boston. It has been about 2 months now. Everything went good. But all read alot since then. Bosley is too expensive. If you dont mind me asking what did they charge per graft at the place you went to? Bosley charged $9. I had 864 done in frontal area. I plan on getting one more.Nervousd, do they have a website?

As I think I mentioned I had 2000 grafts. Originally they were going to charge $6.00 a graft but I discussed it with the consultant and they chaged just over $5.00 a graft. I was actually scheduled for 1900 grafts and they decided on 100 more as the surgery progressed. Maybe there was some left over that they didn't want to waste but at any rate I had discussed this possibility with them before the procedure and as agreed they did NOT charge me any more. That was comforting. I just had my sutures removed today (Day 14) and they said I looked real good. Very healed and jsut impressed with everything so far.

Great news nervousd. I am pretty happy with mine also. I was very nervous at first when I started reading all the crap about Bosley. But I talked to a couple doctors in the Boston area and they stated that the doctor at the Boston Bosley office is very good. And these were guys from other hair transplant offices. Great relief! But I will not go back there just because there other cheaper and just as good doctors around. I will check out where you went also. When I had mine, I had 2 weeks off work. I am a firefighter so I didnt want to put a helmet on after! Then of course right went I went back ,I had a fire that day! It aggravated it a little but nobody noticed and I am progressing nicely!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have any consultations with any other Doctors in Mass or surounding states? I have visited Bosley (in Boston) and DiStefano (in Worcester) and I'm leaning towards DiStefano, but I'm curious what selection process you went through?

Bill,

I didn't have any other Doctors names at the time and hadn't found any that looked good so, no I only dealt with MHR in Wellesley. Since then I found DiStefano's name from Worcester and he looks like a good possibility. If you don't mind, what are his charges? I liked what I saw after the fact and would potentially talk to him myself if I decide to have a second HT.

Dr. DiStefano quoted me $5 per graft, so it's about the same as what you've experienced. Bosley was $8-9 per graft, depending on numbers. I was not familiar with MHR in Mass until I found this forum. I'm in my mid 40's and a Class 5. I've had two smaller HT's done in 1990 and 1995. I think both Dr. Davis (1990) and Greenwald (1995) are no longer around. In fact I believe Greenwald had his license suspended, although I don't know for what reason. Anything else you can tell me about MHR?

I here Dr Bernstein in NYC is the best around. I am going there to talk to him next month. I will let you guys know. I would rather take the trip to NY and have the best than just a good doc.