proscar question

UKGEEZER

I'm not a medic, so tkae this as good hearsay, not gospel!

Proscar works by inhibiting the convesion of male hormones into a chemical which damages the follicles (DHT). If it is the case that your hair loss is triggered by a certain threshold of dht then you may well live happily ever after on proscar, as baldness pundit Spenser Kober seems to.

I dont think it is the case, as your question implys then that, proscar is like say turing your bilogical clock back 5 years, so that in six years you would be just like your untreated self would be in one year.

Sorry, this is getting a bit T2! My point is that it might sort out your problem. So give it a chance.

No not at all, my last post must have been clear as mud, I'm really sorry about that, I'll try again.

Dont think of proscar as holding back your hair loss like a damn can hold back water. So after a certan amount of wtaer is held back then any new flow will spill over the top.

Proscar is not like a damn, it is more like say, fetiliser! If you imagine that some soil can just about sustain a certain kind of plant, then in some cases fertilising the soil will alow the plant to grow, not for 1 or 2 or 5 years but untill some other envionmental factor changes.

"DHT" is an environmental factor in your body which can inhibit ahir growth. Proscar will typicaly drop dht levels by about 60% (I think) so when you take it, you remove an impediment to hair growth. That is not to say you will or wont stop losing or start regrowing hair. But you have removed or at least reduced one factor which inhibits hair growth.

Hope this helps!

NV

Hi Geezer,

Well thats the proof of the pudding isnt it! I'm afraid proscar did not do the trick for me in as much as it has not grown my hair back.

But after about 5 years of steady loss I have stablised my loss latley.

I do think proscar is an imprtant part of any hair regime. Obviously I follow the pattern of using minoxidil too, a shed load of vitamins and herbs, and a few other random lotions.

As far as I see it though, proscar and minoxidil are the only products out there with any sort of scientific support of their claims. So, in the first place they are where you shoulds start, I really wish I had started with proscar before I got a ht with the Nobel Clinic. There are happy users of proscar too (See the Bald Truth book)

Keep in touch

NV

I do think I started proscar too late, or later than I should. I first got on proscar about a year or so after my first ht, and that is toalty the wrong way around.

That said, proscar and minox are both meant to be better at holding onto hair on the crown, rather than the hairline, so in that sence you might realy benifit, if you stop your hair retreating back over your head then you can perhaps get away with out lots of ht.

Hope this helps

NV