Question regarding Transplant and Psoriasis

I have a mild psoriasis, can i use cortison cream in the area where the grafts are placed?

If yes, when after the ht?

For sure only in the case if some psoriasis plaques appear after the hair transplant?

I heard of cortisone tabletts which are used to reduce the swelling after hairtransplant. Maybe this would be a better option to reduce psoriasis plaques after irritation on the scalp?

i'm no doctor but I would assume you cannot put anything on the grafted area prior to about 8-10 days.. After that, you should be ok but ask your doc for sure

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

What comes next no doc has answered me.

I had pretty bad psoriasis on the frontal and mid scalp before my HT.

After my first session it had almost disappeared, completely gone after my second procedure.

It never came back either.

I do not recommend doing a HT for treating psoriasis however icon_smile.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

thanks bverotti, is it a true story? you had psoriasis and it?‚??s gone since your ht?

normally i could imagine it gets worse but if its possible to stop it with ht, then wonderful.

but my question was when i can apply cortisone on it. you work for prohairclinic, can you ask the docs?

You want to treat the psoriasis prior to the transplant and have it under control. Ask your surgeon what his treatment plan is for returning to normal treatment after a surgery.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

nw2, Who knows really what kind of a reaction the Cortisone could cause to the grafts or surronding area, the cream that is. I figured after my HT I didn't want to even get aloe vera on the grafts. The worse case doctor scenario: "Sorry the grafts didn't take".

yes prior to surgery i will treat it that i have no plaques on skin.

and the first 10 days i will not apply any cortison cream on it but maybe afterwards it thought when can i apply it, in the case of inflammed areas due to psoriasis?

but maybe a oral cortison would be the right thing which also reduces swelling?

nw2,

I would still discuss this plan with your surgeon. Treating the area first is very important. Future treatment is the question for your doctor. Many docs use a steroid during surgery to inhibit swelling. It can be oral or it may be an injection given during or after surgery. It can even be in some of the solutions used during the procedure. Any of these would help to keep the psoriasis under control in the crucial post op time.

Regards,

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians