Itchy donor area...

gap

Just wondering how others have dealt with this problem? I find that my donor scars (5 weeks post op) are very itchy and although I know better than to scratch on the area I do find my self rubbing lightly which does give some relief. I'm wondering if my shampoo might be causing the itch I'm using Johnson's Baby shampoo right now. Should I try an anti-dandruff shampoo?

Just wondering how others have dealt with this problem? I find that my donor scars (5 weeks post op) are very itchy and although I know better than to scratch on the area I do find my self rubbing lightly which does give some relief. I'm wondering if my shampoo might be causing the itch I'm using Johnson's Baby shampoo right now. Should I try an anti-dandruff shampoo?

• 6 years later...

Hi gap-

Congrats on your recent transplant. Hopefully you will be really pleased with the final outcome in the months to come.

I would absolutely NOT genty rub the donor area. It's good you are not scratching it but I would not touch the area at all. I was speaking with one of the hair tech's at Hasson and Wong after my proceedure and the recommended not gently rubbing or massaging the area. If you do, there is a risk of donor scar stretching.

I would recommend calling your doc and asking their advice as products you can use to help the itch.

I agree with Obie one. Call your doc. At 6 weeks scars are in their maximal risk of hypertrophy (in most cases) and that is why I try to see all patients at about that time frame. A quick peak may put you at ease.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

At 6 weeks scars are in their maximal risk of hypertrophy (in most cases)

Dr. Lindsey, Can you give a good timeframe of when there is maximal risk?

4-6 week? 6-8 weeks? 4-8 weeks?

Any thoughts on this? I know it's subjective but it's good to get an idea of when to be the most careful after a HT

As far as I am concerned, all surgical scars worsen, get redder and lumpier, for 6 to 8 weeks after even the best of closures. If I can see someone at around 5-8 weeks postop and their scar looks good, I am not likely to worry about that scar turning out bad... could happen, but not likely at all.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians