Need advice

hairloss&me

Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your time and effort for this cause. You and other are really doing a great job.

Question: I was about to purchase Med scale but thank God i read about it on this web page. I want to use what you are using to stop my hear loss. please advise

Robert is using: I am currently taking Avodart - .5 mg daily, 5% generic minoxidil applied twice daily, good vitamins, and an attempt to get enough rest, which doesn't always happen but I do what I can.

1. Does Avodart .5 mg and 5% generic minoxidil available over the counter or we need a prescription for them.

2. Is this best things to start or should i get Propecia OR Regaine

Thanks

Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your time and effort for this cause. You and other are really doing a great job.

Question: I was about to purchase Med scale but thank God i read about it on this web page. I want to use what you are using to stop my hear loss. please advise

Robert is using: I am currently taking Avodart - .5 mg daily, 5% generic minoxidil applied twice daily, good vitamins, and an attempt to get enough rest, which doesn't always happen but I do what I can.

1. Does Avodart .5 mg and 5% generic minoxidil available over the counter or we need a prescription for them.

2. Is this best things to start or should i get Propecia OR Regaine

Thanks

hairloss&me,

Welcome to the Hair Restoration Discussion Forums.

Avodart is a prescription medication that is not FDA-approved for the treatment of male-pattern baldness. It is currently only marketed for use for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH (enlargement of the prostate gland). Some physicians will prescribe it off-label, but my wager is that most would be hesitant to do so. You can read more on Avodart and Propecia here.

Generic minoxidil is the same thing as Rogaine, Regaine, etc. I use the 5% version. It is available OTC at drug stores and large retail stores like Wal-Mart.

Your best bet is most likely to look into Propecia first. It is available by prescription and is FDA-approved for the treatment of MPB. The link I posted above has some great information about Propecia, its possible side effects, and what to expect. Many users of this forum use Propecia successfully.

Remember that with Propecia and minoxidil you have to use them for an indefinitely to maintain the results that you see. Also, Propecia is mostly a maintenance drug. The idea is to keep the hair you have. Any regrowth seen is to be considered benefit.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog