Shapiro

active34

Hey Guys,

I know that there have been almost all positive posts about Shapiro on here, but I am questioning some things that I'm wondering if anyone could address. First, it seems that his practice is being run similar to that of a hair mill. You talk to a consultant over the phone for a "diagnosis." Secondly, some glossy brochures are mailed to you. I will state as well that some brochures detailing Shapiro's credentials are also mailed. There are other well-praised doctors on this forum who personally respond to emails and who, themselves, conduct consultations either by phone or in person.

What are your opinions regarding these issues?

Hey Guys,

I know that there have been almost all positive posts about Shapiro on here, but I am questioning some things that I'm wondering if anyone could address. First, it seems that his practice is being run similar to that of a hair mill. You talk to a consultant over the phone for a "diagnosis." Secondly, some glossy brochures are mailed to you. I will state as well that some brochures detailing Shapiro's credentials are also mailed. There are other well-praised doctors on this forum who personally respond to emails and who, themselves, conduct consultations either by phone or in person.

What are your opinions regarding these issues?

Dr Shapiro is an excellent surgeon and a great guy.

Choose whoever you feel is the right person but, from my own experience, the proof of Dr Shapiro's worth is when he is in his operating rooms.

On that score, he gets full marks.

If you were put off by what happened when you contacted his offices, so be it. But as Mr T said, he can't be everywhere doing everything.

active 34

I have visited three different dr's all that I picked from visiting this forum. Each and every one of them have consultants and nice glossy brochures. I met with the consultant at each office, then met with the doctor. I did not visit Shapiro because of the distance, but I chose Shapiro for my HT next month. I spoke with Matt and went through the same drill as the others and was asked to come for a visit after Matt qualified me as a good candidate. When I scheduled my procedure, Dr. Shapiro was booked a few months out. If you listen to what others are saying on this forum you will learn one important thing. Don't limit youselt to your own backyard. You may have to travel to get the best Dr. but unless you have unlimited financial resources you can't go to all of them. I made my decision from what other on this forum and other are saying and from talking with others that Shapiro did HT's for. All were very satisfied. I'm convinced that Shapiro is not a "hairmill". If I find out otherwise next month I'll let you know. Some of these other doctors may have a lot of time on their hands so they are able to answer an email personally. I hope when I'm at Shapiro's office next month that he doesn't take time away from me and get start answering emails, but I understand what you are saying. I would like to have full access to someone before I make a big decision like this. I think I have made the right decision for me. I'll let you know how my experience is next month.

Since I had my 2480 FU HT in December of 2003, I can tell you for certain that they are not a "hairmill"! This is Dr Shapiro's specialty and he does the recipient cuts, the donar cut & staples, as well as supervising the whole process. He was very compassionate and thoughtful, as well as very proficient. I always felt completely comfortable, and knew I was in competent hands.

I figured this thread would yank a few chains! The other doctors whom I consulted -- all highly regarded on this forum -- did not drop their knives to talk to me or to answer my emails. Phone consults were scheduled several days or even weeks in advance. Emails were answered during the evenings -- most likely after their patient work was completed. Also, docs who are alone in their practices do not necessarily have surgeries scheduled every day. Shapiro, for instance, has several surgeons in his practice, so it's highly unlikely that each one of them would not be performing a procedure on a given day. Please do not start to infer that if a doctor has time to personally consult with you, he must not be good or he has too much time on his hands.

Maybe I should have asked Matt Zupin at Shapiro if I could have scheduled another consultation with a doctor. However, at the time, I just assumed that was not how his practice was run.

Active -

I had my consultation and procedure at SMG, and had my first part of it with Matt, who laid out clearly what was to be expected, what they could potentially do for me. I'm not sure if a session was scheduled with a surgeon at that time, but I did ask to speak with Dr. Shapiro, and did so for at least 30 min, maybe more. Speaking with Matt helped me formulate additional and better questions for the doc than I had with Matt, since I was more informed. I wouldn't let that steer you away from SMG, but be sure to speak with Shapiro, or any other doc first, prior to scheduling a procedure. My only concern, and not really a concern, is I'm wondering if they would have allowed me to proceed without speaking to one of the physicians first. I would think they would insist on having a physician meet a patient for just a little while at least. But that's an unknown since I asked to speak with Shapiro, whom was more than helpful. Good luck in your decision. By the way, my procedure was with Dr. Charles at SMG.

You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere a hair transplant consultant with more experience and capability than Matt Zupan. He, like the entire practice at SMG, is top notch.

As far as the doctor issue, Shapiro certainly sees his patients before surgery. Not only does he "meet" with them, he spends an inordinate amount of time in the design and approach of the surgery, especially the hairline. I never expected to have lines drawn and redrawn to the point of perfection like was done on me, all in an effort to replicate a natural and appropriate look for my age, and extent of hairloss.

I've had two procedures done by the good doc. My HTs are perfect. They could not have been done any better. If I had chosen to go elsewhere because Matt is not a doctor, I might not be as pleased with the results. Sure, I might be just as pleased, but it is not possible that I could have been more pleased, as one cannot improve on perfection.

Perhaps like many others, early on I wondered why there was virtually nothing but super comments on this site about SMG. Yea, I surmised that maybe because Pat had his procedures done there.... But now I know, from my own experience, that it is because the practice is as good as everyone says it is. It really is as simple as that.

Cliff