After Transplant Acne

lariat

I hada good surgery on Feb. 15th, it has now been 4 months. No hair growths from transplant visible yet. I do seem to get some major acne and I wash my hair everyday as I did in the past. Is this due to the hair follicles growing like an ingrown hair? Which leads to a big headache, zit? I have probably had at least 30 by now over the last two + months. Is this typical? And when should I be seeing my hair?

It is very normal. Actually about 4 months is when the pimples stopped for me. I was going sort of crazy for a while trying to get the pimples under control. I had never had a pimple in my life so I assumed I would not have the problem others had written about-boy, was I wrong. At 5 months my head is clear, except I got one in the crown last night which I hope means more growth there is on the way.

The pimples (actually ingrown hairs) are very normal. It seems like you get tons but in reality, versus the number of grafts transplanted, it's not that many.

We had our HT's done the same day so I'm at 4 months post-op as well. It sounds like my growth started before yours as the pimples quit a month or so ago (except a stray last week) and I've been having a decent growth spurt to where the new HT hair is noticable but not very long or thick yet.

Since you've been having the ingrown hairs your growth is likely starting. New HT hair comes in so thin and wispy it takes a little while before it's noticable..........probably 1 1/2 months after it starts and the hairs become somewhat visible.

Hang in there.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.