Post-Op Exercise / Donor Scar

How soon after a hair transplant should one feel comfortable resuming the following exercises:

Running?

Lifting weights?

Heavy weightlifting?

Situps/crunches?

While I have done a little running and lifted some weights, I want to make sure that I do not stretch or harm the donor area before I increase my level of exercise. Thanks!

How soon after a hair transplant should one feel comfortable resuming the following exercises:

Running?

Lifting weights?

Heavy weightlifting?

Situps/crunches?

While I have done a little running and lifted some weights, I want to make sure that I do not stretch or harm the donor area before I increase my level of exercise. Thanks!

Gossamer,

It is always advisable to check with your doctor, however, I have heard that it is safe to start doing light exercise again after about 10 days.

Personally, I started doing some very light lifting and cardio by around that time, and then slowly and gradually increased my weights as time went on. I don't recommend doing any heavy lifting or anything that will put strain on the donor area for the first 3 months. Physical contact sports is also not advisable until after 3 months.

Situps and crunches are ok after 10 days or so - but don't put your hands on your head as people have a tendency to tug on the donor area.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the response! I generally do crunches and situps with my hands behind my head for form, without really tugging. Do you think that this would be harmful, considering its about 3 months since the surgery? My abs definitely need some work! icon_smile.gif

Gossamer,

That should be fine, but be careful. It is VERY tempting after doing several crunches to begin pulling on your head - even without realizing it. I recommend keeping your arms by your side at least for the first couple weeks.

Wanthairs,

That is typically against medical advice, however, I'm glad you didn't get any additional head injuries.

Bill

BE CAREFUL!

I wouldn't start lifting, even light until about 3 weeks or so minimum. If you do, be very cautious with your breathing as pressure can build if you don't breath..No sense in screwing up your scar for a couple pull ups! Running should be Ok sooner as there is little pressure put on the area.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!