Graft Count Estimates

The research continues....

Having contacted several HT docs via email with my pix attached, one thing I'm curious to get feedback on is why I'm receving such a disparity when it comes to graph count estimates?

I know these estimates are based on pix and not meant to replace an inperson consult, but the disparity troubles me.

From one end of the range to the other the disparity is about 1000-1500? Is this normal?

I don't want to be sold unnessesary amounts of grafts, while at the same time I don't want someone to be totooo conservative with my hairline.

The research continues....

Having contacted several HT docs via email with my pix attached, one thing I'm curious to get feedback on is why I'm receving such a disparity when it comes to graph count estimates?

I know these estimates are based on pix and not meant to replace an inperson consult, but the disparity troubles me.

From one end of the range to the other the disparity is about 1000-1500? Is this normal?

I don't want to be sold unnessesary amounts of grafts, while at the same time I don't want someone to be totooo conservative with my hairline.

There's a wide disparity of what you "need" because a lot of it is an opinion. There isn't a firm-set number that makes everyone look good or bad.

HTs are virtually never a one-time thing, especially if you get your first HT before you're at least 40-50 years old. It's not about how many grafts you need right now, it's about what you will eventually need during the rest of your lifetime as your hair loss progresses for decades.

So you're most likely biting off a big chunk of money & surgeries if you begin the HT process. And there's no turning back & shaving your head if you change your mind later. The costs of a 1000-1500 graft difference this time around should not be a deal-breaker for your wallet. If it is, then maybe you're not in a position to get into having HTs yet.

------------------------------------------------

It is perfectly normal to get varying opinions on what the total number of grafts required is. Don't worry about things. Find a doctor and an approach that you are comfortable with.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Many times a disparity emerges due to differing ideas on 1) hairline location 2) area of scalp to be treated and 3) grafted density.

If you have one doc that proposes a conservative hairline and another who wants to place the frontline a centimeter lower on the forehead, you will easily have two very different grafts estimates. Dropping the hairline, even 1 cm, can sometimes require 1,000+ grafts.

In other situations you may find that one physician recommends grafting the frontal third, while another doc feels that grafting entire front half is in order (for example). Again, this will give a wider spread of estimates and recommendations.

Finally, some docs like to dense pack, while others tend to graft areas at a lighter density. Ultimately, you probably want to go to doctor that can pack at moderate to high density. Although most patients simply do not have the donor reserves for dense packing all over the scalp, most patients like to have at least decent density in the front zone.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.