Mineral Oil??

After my 2nd HT I used the Grafcyte spray, but still would have dry scalp that was itchy in the 2nd week and would have dry skin/scab buildup. Then I remembered after my 1st HT I had used Mineral Oil (Vaseline Hair Tonic to be specific) to ease the itch as well as loosen the dry, dead skin. Now I did this after the first week - applying lightly with a cotton swap on dry areas.

I would love to know from a qualified Doc if this would do any harm whatsoever!

Also, if I am 8 weeks out, can I message my scalp with my fingertips without causing damage? At what point (after 1 week or two) would that be safe?

After my 2nd HT I used the Grafcyte spray, but still would have dry scalp that was itchy in the 2nd week and would have dry skin/scab buildup. Then I remembered after my 1st HT I had used Mineral Oil (Vaseline Hair Tonic to be specific) to ease the itch as well as loosen the dry, dead skin. Now I did this after the first week - applying lightly with a cotton swap on dry areas.

I would love to know from a qualified Doc if this would do any harm whatsoever!

Also, if I am 8 weeks out, can I message my scalp with my fingertips without causing damage? At what point (after 1 week or two) would that be safe?

phillyboy,

If I am correct, mineral oil is very similar to baby oil...am I correct? I know many doctors recommend the use of Vitamin E oil right after a transplant. I don't know about mineral oil specifically, but I don't imagine it would do any harm.

Your grafts are secured by about the 10th day. At 8 weeks post op, you will not cause any damage to the hair follicles. Massage as needed icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

I do agree with Bill about the mineral oil probably being safe.

However, if you use neosporin during the scabbing stage it helps soften them causing the scabs to melt off in the shower.

You also get the benefit of the antibacterial action.

I don't think I would recommend messaging the scalp for at least 8 months post surgery.

There will be a risk of stretching the scar.

Hi

Try an all natural Aloe Vera Shampoo . I used it for my third HT and the difference was HUGE.. It seemed to speed my healing as well

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I don't think I would recommend messaging the scalp for at least 8 months post surgery.

Maybe we should clarify what he means by massaging the scalp.

If we are referring to SCALP EXERCISES, you can start at 6 months post op.

If we are referring to massaging to relieve the itch...one can start doing that by 10-14 days post op.

Bill

phillyboy,

Then yes, you are fine to do that.

Scalp exercises are what certain clinics recommend to patients who are looking to get a large number of grafts in a single session. These scalp exercises when done properly and consistently will help increase laxity to the scalp so a larger strip can be removed safely obtaining more follicular unit grafts. There is a great instructional on the Hasson and Wong website. Click here to view it.

Bill

My doctor gave me a spray bottle and said to spray the grafts, For 10 minutes or more several times a day.If fact the same day and the next they spray cleaned them for me Results I had minamal

crusting (scabs). I think this was the way to go. He also recommeded the mineral oil to loosen the crusts that build up that the sprayer didn't clean.I applied it once.wasn't really needed for me.If you don't do this Keep them clean. I could see where the graft area could become a big scab, I don't think that would be good!

My grafts held about a month.Then shed (90 percent) or so some stayed. And after 5 1/2 weeks some are an inch long. Now some are starting back, The rest are waiting to grow.

I didn't have a big pockets of scabs. In fact, for both my HTs, I had minimal scabs and dry patches (the 2nd HT I had the graphcyte ot whatever they call it). But I do have dry scalp to begin with and there was a few times it was itchy (and usually around a patch with "extra" skin (i.e. scabs) I have found that applying with a swab (or blotting with a cotton ball) not only alleviated the itch, but loosed the excess skin/scabs.

Just made it easier - and just wanted to know what a doc thought.