does more hair fallout the more you style/shampoo/gel it?

Chris,

Overuse of shampoo, styling, gelling, etc will not cause hair loss.

However, any constant manipulation of the hair for those who are experiencing genetic hair loss can facilitate and expedite the shedding of miniaturized hairs.

This is true because miniaturized hairs are weaker and more proned to shedding. A miniaturized hairs may grow back after it sheds, but typically smaller, finer, and not as long. Eventually these hairs will die if not treated but it is because of genetics, and nothing to do with styling products.

Bill

Chris,

It depends on how you define "expedite".

Any constant manipulation of hairs destined to "fall out" as you put it or shed SOON (I think "soon" is the keyword) will cause them to shed earlier than later - hence the word "expedite".

Of course, "earlier" may only refer to a few hours earlier, but earlier nonetheless. Therefore over-manipulation of hair soon to be shed may cause them to fall out a little bit sooner.

Take vigourous towel drying as an example. Many people who are losing their hair, after vigourous towel drying will see a number of hairs that shed. The hairs that shed would have shed anyway - but may have held on for a little longer - be it a minute, an hour, a day - who knows - but not much longer.

But none of these products or routines expedite the genetic hair loss process itself. I believe he and I are technically saying the same thing.

I'm sorry if what I'm saying is a little confusing.

Bill