What age

joel

Is 21 too young to have hair transplanted? Male with very receded hairline, and losing fast. Paternal uncles with baldness but no maternal family members with baldness. Is that unusual?

Joel

Is 21 too young to have hair transplanted? Male with very receded hairline, and losing fast. Paternal uncles with baldness but no maternal family members with baldness. Is that unusual?

Joel

Yes...in my opinion. I had one at about age 25. That was to young. I ended up losing more hair and the plugs (the old version of HT's) became my new hairline. Quite ugly and embarrassing.

Although technology has changed quite a bit, and FU's are now available, I still think 21 is still to young. Its not what you want to hear. I know how hard losing you hair is at such a young age, but believe me if you have a history of MPB in your family, I would wait.

-Midnite

Guest Dr Rose

At the young age of 21 I would advise trying medications such as Propecia and/or Rogaine.

As others have noted we cannot always predict the degree of baldness that someone may eventually

have.The hair transplant surgeon should be thinking aobut the extent of baldness the person may have in the next 20 -40 years and the donor hair that will be available.

If one were to decide to have a transplant and the surgeon agreed that such a procedure was reasonable I would urge the patient to be extremely conservative. I would keep the hairline high and maintain a fairly high degree of recession.

In such cases I also think that it is important for the patient to obtain a second opinion from other hair replacement surgeons before considering any surgical intervention.