Questions about HT welcome for a new poster.

Knock Knock, who's there - anyway that's my lame icebreaker.

I've been monitoring the forum on this site as well as others and doing a lot of research on HT (7 months or so) and hair loss treatments (three years). First off I'd like to thank all of you for the valuable information and opinions generated on this site.

Well here's my story (by the way I've always had thin hair): I'm in my middle thirties and have had some minor to moderate hair loss starting in my late twenties. I've had some recession at my hairline and temples and a small thinning spot in the back. I've been on propecia for three years, just starting year four and for the most part have slowed (if not stabilized) my loss significantly, but have still lost a little in the front. I'm not a big fan of Minoxidil, the dependency and possibility of more harm then good, not worth the gamble in my opinion. I'm looking into re-establishing my hairline with a HT and was in need of some opinions from some experienced HT patients and fellow suffers. I've visited and had some correspondence with the Shapiro group (I went to them because of this site, thank goodness for this site!) and found them to be very helpful. I was quoted a procedure for 1200 grafts and what seems to be a very reasonable price considering. I've talked to some previous clients and have had nothing but positive responses from all. I have the usual concerns and apprehensions and was in need of some informative opinions. Donor scar, pain, what the future might hold and the big one "will I be worse off and would it have been better not to mess with it surgically. I was told that in my case if there was shock loss it would probably not be noticeable because of the length of my hair and the way I wear it. I was also told that because of the density of my hairline that I was less likely to experience shock, good news I think. Any suggestions or comments, and information would be helpful.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Knock Knock, who's there - anyway that's my lame icebreaker.

I've been monitoring the forum on this site as well as others and doing a lot of research on HT (7 months or so) and hair loss treatments (three years). First off I'd like to thank all of you for the valuable information and opinions generated on this site.

Well here's my story (by the way I've always had thin hair): I'm in my middle thirties and have had some minor to moderate hair loss starting in my late twenties. I've had some recession at my hairline and temples and a small thinning spot in the back. I've been on propecia for three years, just starting year four and for the most part have slowed (if not stabilized) my loss significantly, but have still lost a little in the front. I'm not a big fan of Minoxidil, the dependency and possibility of more harm then good, not worth the gamble in my opinion. I'm looking into re-establishing my hairline with a HT and was in need of some opinions from some experienced HT patients and fellow suffers. I've visited and had some correspondence with the Shapiro group (I went to them because of this site, thank goodness for this site!) and found them to be very helpful. I was quoted a procedure for 1200 grafts and what seems to be a very reasonable price considering. I've talked to some previous clients and have had nothing but positive responses from all. I have the usual concerns and apprehensions and was in need of some informative opinions. Donor scar, pain, what the future might hold and the big one "will I be worse off and would it have been better not to mess with it surgically. I was told that in my case if there was shock loss it would probably not be noticeable because of the length of my hair and the way I wear it. I was also told that because of the density of my hairline that I was less likely to experience shock, good news I think. Any suggestions or comments, and information would be helpful.

Mahair

I would disagree with you. I've had 2 procedures @ 1400 and change each with no shockloss. It's been an excellent decision for me as nobody has known of my procedures. I wanted more grafts but my doctor said it was best for me ( with my needs) to get this.. How can you say it's a don't do without seeng pics, knowing of his donor area ( laxity, etc) and with shockloss being an issue. More is always better

Curious

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

1,200 grafts is nothing but a starter procedure. How many more do you anticipate?I will tell you now if your doctor failed to do so. Many more. Have fun but don't initiate the misinformed.I don't care who is doing the surgery.As far as laxticity goes you never know until you walk around with a tight scalp. What about shockloss. What about future hairloss?!,200 grafts might look ok for a few years. After that hats or more surgery.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

First off thanks for the replies; The one thing I can honestly say is that this is not about any one else's opinions. I personally don't like looking in the mirror even though by most people's standards it's noticeable but it could be much much worse. I'm hoping not to have any more, if possible, but my plans are not always what's in the cards or what the good lord has planned for me. I do want to state that thinning hair runs in my family and I could stay the same for years and I could get worse, I honestly don't know. What I do know is that I would rather not go from nothing or hardly anything to a huge change. I really want to conceal it as well as surgery and stay ahead of any future loss.

By the way, when I refer to not caring about other people's opinions I'm referring to the comments and or looks people give other people suffering from hair loss. My decision to look into a HT is based on me and nobody else. My loving wife of many years pretty much could care less and supports what ever would make me happy. I do however want to be well informed and have the opions and previous experiences from previous patients.

Mahair, I don't agree with your opinion either and I'll tell you why: his age.

If this were a younger guy (say, mid-twenties) then yes, I would agree that 1,200 may be too small of a procedure to go ahead with. That is still an "iffy" situation.

However, laughter's medicince says that he is in his mid-thirties with temporal recession and thinning in the crown. Now, without seeing him in person, I have to speculate that his thinning isn't terribly advanced from the tone of his post and the recommendation of Dr. Shapiro. The hair line is definitely not receded too badly since Dr. Shapiro only recommended 1,200. This means that since he started thinning at roughly ~28 (he said late twenties) and he is now ~35 (he said that he is mid-thirties) he has thinned relatively little in that time span. Over 8 years, I went from no thinning at all at 17 years old to a NW4 at 25. He is not showing nearly the severity of hair loss that I exhibited. Plus, he has stabilized his loss with Propecia for the past few years, with no intention of stopping.

Bottom line, it is my opinion (and not just the opinion of someone that is a fan of Dr. Shapiro's work, which I am) that the diagnosis is right on. Of course there is always the possibility to need another procedure in the future. However, it is the goal of ethical physicians like Dr. Shapiro to ensure that the procedure they recommend and carry out will look natural even if the patient begins to thin behind the grafts.

laughter's medicine, welcome to the Hair Restoration Research forums. I am glad to read that they have helped you in your research this far.

One thing I want to do, though, is to qualify my above statement to Mahair. Though I agree with what Dr. Shapiro outlined for you, given the information that I have, I am in no way, shape, or form advocating that you go forward with the surgery. I am merely giving my opinion on the situation. The decision to carry forth with the procedure is yours and yours alone. However, you come across as a very level-headed guy and not one to make the decision out of emotion. Added to that, you have consulted with one of the absolute most talented hair restoration physicians in the world. Either way you go, (yay or nay) would not be a "bad" decision. Good luck with your decision and I look forward to hearing about your progress from here.

Oh, and by the way, I have to agree with you about minoxidil. From what I have read in your posts, minoxidil's benefits are probably not worth the hassle at this point. Plus, it's always nice to have an "ace in the hole" in case that crown starts thinning more.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi

I think the bottom line is Dr. Shapiro has a PHD, and has seen the patient, and is a well respected Dr in the industry.. Opinions are great but at the end of the day we are all "arm chair quarterbacks".In additon, differnt doc will have a different approach. If I was in your situation I would go to various Doc to get 2nd, 3rd opinions. What I can contribute is my experience of 2 procedures and the great result I have had. Bigger is not always better.

P.S Mahir I have no idea what your reply meant as your sentences are not legible?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks to all for the replies. I can't reiterate the sentiment enough that a person should make their decision based on his or her beliefs and stick to it, as long as your not hurting someone else. Other people's opinions and experience's are invaluable and should be learned from, but at the end of the day it's ultimately yourself you look at in the mirror. As of now I have not set any thing in stone either way with my decision. When I do I pray that it's ultimately the right one for "me" and nothing but positive's come from it. Keep up the good work on this sight and I'm sure now that I have my feet wet with my first posts you'll be hearing from me again whether it's a comment or question.

* Note ??“ I don't completely understand why people who are against hair loss drugs or surgery say that you'll mess with the natural recession/balding or whatever you want to call it process. In general I really haven't seen any two men have recession/balding the exact same way but I have seen similarities. Some are left with more up front and some with more in back. There's nothing really beautiful or graceful about the process. And on the other side there is not any thing truly grotesque about it either, although completely unwanted! Have a positive attitude, a smile and a song.