questions from a newbie

mockchoi

Hello people. I've been lurking here for awhile, and finally I feel like I've learned enough about this HT business to ask a few semi-intelligent questions.

I'm 35, male, probably a Norwood 3. My hairloss seemed to happen rapidly in my early twenties and then stabilize. For the last ten years or so I don't think I've lost an appreciable amount of hair, it's maybe very slightly thinner in the 'peak' area; it's hard to tell. I don't have any bald spots or anything. The men in my family seem to have this sort of hair, no one that I know of has been bald, although I think I am the worst of the lot. I'm pretty sure I've lost about all of the hair I'm going to lose.

I'm wondering: those of you that have had an HT within the last few years that you are happy with. Some of you guys look just great. Do you think that, looking back, if you'd been a NW3 and liable to stay that way you'd have been happier without the surgery? Or are you so happy with the final results that you'd go ahead anyway? You all say that an HT only provides an illusion of more hair, I'm not sure exactly what that means in practical terms. I notice that most of you style your hair similarly, can you grow it out long, or buzz it and have it look natural? If they (using FU) put the single hairs in front, does it look unatural when viewed from the top? Does the scar bother you afterwards? Has anyone here had an FU HT within the last few years and been displeased with the results?

I realize that no one can answer these questions for me, but I'd appreciate any input. If I went through with this, I'd probably use Dr. Shapiro, but I find I'm (so far) too scared to go through with it. I'm pretty worried about looking like a freak for six months or so; I'm also worried that due to shock loss, etc. I'll end up with less hair than I have now.

Thanks all.

Hello people. I've been lurking here for awhile, and finally I feel like I've learned enough about this HT business to ask a few semi-intelligent questions.

I'm 35, male, probably a Norwood 3. My hairloss seemed to happen rapidly in my early twenties and then stabilize. For the last ten years or so I don't think I've lost an appreciable amount of hair, it's maybe very slightly thinner in the 'peak' area; it's hard to tell. I don't have any bald spots or anything. The men in my family seem to have this sort of hair, no one that I know of has been bald, although I think I am the worst of the lot. I'm pretty sure I've lost about all of the hair I'm going to lose.

I'm wondering: those of you that have had an HT within the last few years that you are happy with. Some of you guys look just great. Do you think that, looking back, if you'd been a NW3 and liable to stay that way you'd have been happier without the surgery? Or are you so happy with the final results that you'd go ahead anyway? You all say that an HT only provides an illusion of more hair, I'm not sure exactly what that means in practical terms. I notice that most of you style your hair similarly, can you grow it out long, or buzz it and have it look natural? If they (using FU) put the single hairs in front, does it look unatural when viewed from the top? Does the scar bother you afterwards? Has anyone here had an FU HT within the last few years and been displeased with the results?

I realize that no one can answer these questions for me, but I'd appreciate any input. If I went through with this, I'd probably use Dr. Shapiro, but I find I'm (so far) too scared to go through with it. I'm pretty worried about looking like a freak for six months or so; I'm also worried that due to shock loss, etc. I'll end up with less hair than I have now.

Thanks all.

I think as you read through here you'll find a lot of guys who are happy, especially the ones who went to the elite list of docs. Sounds like our hairloss situation is somewhat similar. I started noticing my hairloss situation when I was about 19, progressed very slow, and about the last 1 - 2 years it seems to have accelerated, or possibly it just got to a point finally where it really bugs me. No hairloss problems run in my family, either side. Shapiro Medical is a good choice, and that's where I went. I can't speak of the final results yet, so stay tuned, but others can. I can speak to your concern about looking like a freak. After 10 days in my case, there was really no evidence of a procedure. Little stubble, but I don't think that was noticeable, just looks like thinning area. Good luck to ya in whatever you decide to do.