need advice on post op swelling

Patricia

I have been reading about what to do in order to minimize post HT swelling. I read that on day 2 that ice should be applied 20 minutes each hour. I also think that I remember reading not to apply ice that often because the cold and movement of the ice-packs can harm the new grafts. What about wearing a headband? Does it cause the fluid to move to other places (There is a post from someone who said he had permanent wrinkles because of fluid moving) Is it better to let the swelling follow a progression down the face or try to detour it with a headband? I appreciate any of your suggestions.....

gone today...hair tomorrow...

I have been reading about what to do in order to minimize post HT swelling. I read that on day 2 that ice should be applied 20 minutes each hour. I also think that I remember reading not to apply ice that often because the cold and movement of the ice-packs can harm the new grafts. What about wearing a headband? Does it cause the fluid to move to other places (There is a post from someone who said he had permanent wrinkles because of fluid moving) Is it better to let the swelling follow a progression down the face or try to detour it with a headband? I appreciate any of your suggestions.....

I just let it take it's course, mind you this resulted in an eye swelling shut for a day and about 4 days of alienism, but all swelling went away, I have no wrinkles or bruising..all is well. I used the ice on the forehead and around the eyes/temples, it felt good.

Patricia, Do all you can to avoid swelling. First and foremost, you should take prednisone. If your HT doctor doesn't give you some, ask why not. Use a headband and an icepack. I used the icepak on the donor area which helped quite a bit. You can use it on the recipient area too, just put a couple of layers of a towel in between. You don't want the grafts to get too cold. Good luck.