H T Scheduled with Dr. Cooley 1-19-05 Experiences or help requested!

You guy's are the best! I started researching about 3 weeks ago and found your site day 2. The experiences I found here have saved me countless hours and made my decision much easier to make. I was getting ready to use another Dr. but you guy's changed my mind and probably saved me tons of grief. I have made the plunge now and am scheduled for 2500 FU's with Dr. Cooley on January 19,2005. I made this choice because of the comments made here about him and his staff. I'm still a bit anxious about the whole thing and sure could use some encouragement and advice about pre and post-op things that I can do to make this any better or easier.I will keep postings and pictures along the way so I can get your help and advice. Thanks in advance for any comments.

You guy's are the best! I started researching about 3 weeks ago and found your site day 2. The experiences I found here have saved me countless hours and made my decision much easier to make. I was getting ready to use another Dr. but you guy's changed my mind and probably saved me tons of grief. I have made the plunge now and am scheduled for 2500 FU's with Dr. Cooley on January 19,2005. I made this choice because of the comments made here about him and his staff. I'm still a bit anxious about the whole thing and sure could use some encouragement and advice about pre and post-op things that I can do to make this any better or easier.I will keep postings and pictures along the way so I can get your help and advice. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Obviously, I can speak only to my own experience with Dr. Cooley, who did my HT on 16 September of last year. You may have read my own account of the experience and my progress. And my remarks echo those of every other person on this board who received an HT from Dr. Cooley.

For what it's worth, I made the determination to go to Dr. Cooley before I discovered this board, so my decision was based on the factors I had discovered during my own leg work. It was my assessment that his background, attitudes, and humanitarianism made him an excellent choice. If I had found this board before that, it would have made my work much easier, but my point is, it was my independent decision to go with Cooley, not a jumping-on-the-bandwagon sort of thing.

Of course, now, I readily jump on the bandwagon.

One thing I have noticed about the surgeries that those of us have received from Dr. Cooley is that we've tended to show visible growth of the transplanted hair earlier than the touted usual time for this of three months. Of course, that's no guarantee that you will experience early growth--every patient is unique--but it's a pretty good track record.

You've selected a dedicated, skilled surgeon who genuinely cares about the welfare of his patients and who is genuinely as thrilled as his patients are to see successful results. He will cheer with you when things go well; and he will be as concerned as you if there is a problem or if you have a worry. The same goes for Ailene Watts and the rest of his staff.

I didn't follow any pre-op directions, since my operation happened so soon after I made the commitment to do it--two days later, in fact. But follow his post-op instructions to the letter.

It's easier if you can take two weeks off from work following the HT, just because its easier to minimise your activity and avoid accidentally dislodging any of the newly placed grafts. Again, speaking personally, I experienced no discomfort at all after the first night. That first night included some mild aching, akin to a minor headache, and the Valium he proscribed remedied that. After that, I never needed it, again. The only sensation I felt after that was some itching in the areas where the grafts were inserted. A few sprays of a water solution that Dr. Cooley will provide you took care of that.

I never experienced any swelling, and the redness was gone in a day or two. The scar was always minimal, and now, four months later, even with my hair a half-inch long, I cannot see it. If I start parting my hair with my fingers to find it, I have a hard time, even though I know where it is.

The most important post-op recommendation I would counsel--and I believe so would Robert or any of Cooley's other patients--is: patience.

No matter how intellectually you know the way things are supposed to progress, your emotions will still screw with your mind. Especially in the early stages. You won't be able to resist the feelings of anticipation and impatience, even though you know better. I still feel that way often now, even four months later.

So just try to be patient. Time will cure nearly any worry you might develop. And Dr. Cooley or Ailene will be right there to counsel you if you do have a concern.

Best of luck to you next Wednesday and here's to incredible results for you.

Hair Apparent,

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I have read all of your posts and quite frankly made my decision partly based on your comments and results along with a long list of others.

I did not completely pick Dr. Cooley just from this board. I have done consultations with four different Doc's after quite a bit of research including one here in Nashville where I would not have to travel.In the end it just seemed that the folks who used Dr. Cooley were very happy with the results but also had fewer complications from the surgery and had a little quicker recovery and faster hair growth.(these are very important to me and worth a plane ticket and travel) I hope it's the overall approach thats taken by Dr. Cooley and his staff that causes this result.From talking to them it seems they do a few things different from the rest.

As far as time off, I am a Real Estate Broker and can do most of my work from my home office for a couple of weeks and I'm planning on doing just that. Patience is another thing. Not one of my stong points, but I do understand what your saying and will keep your wise counsel in mind when I start doubting.

I hope you continue to get bushy and I look forward to joining you!!!

Nashville Kat,

First off, Congratulations on deciding to get a hair transplant with one of the greatest...Dr. Cooley.

Nashville Kat, Trust me when I say this...you have absolutely nothing to be nervous about. The most painful part of the whole experience is when they take your blood as soon as you get there. That stung!

Dr. Cooley took every precaution in the world to make sure I felt little or no pain, and I felt NO pain. I left the office feeling perfectly fine, although I was a little dizzy when I stood up at first.

And he does give you some valiums to take home in case you need them, but I never took one. I may have took a tylenol or two, I don't remember. Now, I'm a little over 5 months post op and I'm seeing little hair babies popping up all over my hairline. It's wonderful! Dr. Cooley, Ailene, and his staff are the greatest. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Mich Guy,

Thanks for the no shave suggestion. I will do my best to keep what I have left until the transplants start growing. I am looking forward to just getting started and know that it will be worth it. Any referrals coming to the Nashville area, let me know. I need more HT money.

Brando,

Thanks for the moral support also Brando. You are one of the ones I was speaking of earlier that helped me make my decision to use Cooley. I have heard only good about him. As I said earlier, I am just looking forward to starting to do something to get those wonderful little hair babies like you have, planted and nurtured back to health. I know it must be wonderful and I have complete confidence in Dr. Cooley. By the way congrats on your new babies, I'm sure your a proud Papa. I will post an update after I return from Charlotte. Wish me luck!!!

Nashville Kat, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are very excited. You have a right to be as well. Your hair babies will be conceived in a few days and you can sit back, wait for them to grow and mature, and walk with pride when they do. LoL

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with Dr. Cooley and his staff and hopefully see your pics.

My ol' buddy Hairbethere talked me into posting some newer pics so I'll get on that pretty soon.

Maybe you can drive around and enjoy the great city of Charlotte (my personal favorite) the night before surgery.

Good luck!!! We're thinkin of ya!

Brando

Thanks again for the encouraging words. I am getting more excited everyday. Ailene e-mailed me with a couple of answers to questions and a list of a few things that would be handy to have around when I get back home so that I won't have to get out for a few days. I have been trying to tie up loose ends with clients I'm working with to make sure their taken care of while I'm away. The damndest thing happens everytime you try to go out of town though. I've had 3 new clients contact me in the last 2 days wanting to find homes so I have been running my ass off trying to do what I can before leaving. Anyway, If anyone has any ideas of anything else that I might find useful to have at home after the HT, please let me know. If not I'll talk to ya when the deed is done!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Marcelo, I can honestly say that my experience could not have been any better. As you may have read, I live in Nashville and would not hesitate for a moment to travel back to Charlotte for further work in the future. I will post a complete report on my experience later today. Please look at that and if you still have questions I will be glad to answer them for you.