Intro & unusual question

Hi. I just found this site earlier this evening. I've combed the website (no pun intended), and read dozens of threads on this forum. So if I'm irritating anyone by asking questions answered elsewhere, I apologize in advance.

First, an intro. Gonna sound pretty familiar to many, but best to put first things first: Noticed frontal recession at 19, at temples, and top of the head, left & right front. Sharp peak now at 27, with forward-most hair still sitting higher than in my early 20s. Otherwise reasonably dense hair. So non-surgical options are currently moot for regrowth. Not thrilled about this genetically enforced partial mohawk effect.

My first question is: I have significant natural hair discoloration on the back of my head. I've got brown hair, but I have hair within the donor area that people describe as a bleach accident. Only it's natural. (Henry Rollins has something similar) I don't care about having it on the back of my head, so I wouldn't care about having it up front either, provided it looked just as random as it does in the back. Has anyone else ever come across a similar situation? Or can anyone speak to, or reasonably project how it might complicate a potential transplant situation?

I have other questions, but I'll keep my enthusiasm for having found this site under control, and see if I can find if anyone has already answered them elsewhere.

Thanks,

h2steven

h2steven,

Hellow and welcome to the forum. As for your question.................there's no reason known to me that hair from the donor site wouldn't grow in the recipient area regardless of its color. It's characteristics could change after transplanted i.e. change color........I don't know?? icon_confused.gif

Your situation is somewhat unique. I would consult with a reputable HT surgeon and get his/her opinion on this.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

My understanding is that the donar hair would retain its original characteristics.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Transplanted donor hair retains it's characteristic to be DHT-resiliant, but it also adapts to its environment (within reason) if it is transplanted to the hair line in that it will become finer and more "hair line-like." My guess would be that the hair would retain its original color but I am not a physician so I cannot be completely sure.

The only way to find out the answer for sure would be to ask a physician. You can find a hair restoration physician and fill out an online consultation form including photos for an answer by using this map.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog