Beta Sitosterol - herbal finasteride?

Has anyone been taking Beta Sitosterol pills for hair loss? If so, any success?

It is touted as being similar to finasteride in its affects. I contacted a guy who bought it and he said it grew small hairs for him (until he ran out of it).

I've started taking it and seem to get the lower libido that finasteride causes for some people - so maybe it will work. Anyone?

Just don't tell me to stick to the big 3, coz then I know to go to another site (sorry, but some people can't take finasteride or minoxidil due to side effects - from what I hear, some herbals are working for some people).

• 11 months later...

I see this an old topic but I wanted to reply because I just started to take Beta Sitosterols for other reasons, mainly prostate reasons, I can say it has helped the BPE condition very effectively and in a matter of only a few days, I'll pay attention to see if I notice any hair benefits and report here after a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do a little research to see if there have been any studies that show B. Sit. has any ability to reduce hairloss...and surprise, it does! However, it was a limited study of only 26 males with mild to moderate hair loss.

I couldn't find any further studies that corroborate this initial discovery...so I wouldn't bet the farm as this being the next big thing for hair loss. However, it does show some early clinical promise.

I have put a small page up on the herbal website I edit, if you want to read more about this study: