Is Propecia as effectiv Every Other Day as taking everyday??

mrkneed

I believe it's mostly as effective while reducing the potential for side effects.

My understanding is that Merck settled on the 1 mg dose because side effects were "tolerable" (depending on who you ask) and worked for more people.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but if you take it every other day it's something like 80% as effective with less potential for sides.

My own personal opinion is that if propecia is only taken to maintain hair, that's probably not a bad place to start.

As with any medication, the least that works, the better.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

If you are starting Propecia, it certainly cannot hurt to take everyother day. I take it everyday and I'm afraid to change the dosage as I could lose some native hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 10 months later...

In theory it 1 mg finasteride every fourth day should be just as effective as one pill everyday.However, this is not the case. Some recent studies have shown that finasteride and minoxidil reduce type 1 pro-collagen near hair follicles. Since DHT is an anabolic steroid, it must have some role in incrasing the collagen production around hair follicle.

Truth is we do not know how finasteride works. MPb is certainly associated with androgens, but no one nose the mechanism of action. If we could figure that out, there would have way better drugs than finasteride on market.