rhogaine use

just had my staples pulled today - day 8.

That was a fun experience icon_eek.gif

Question about rhogaine use on new grafts. Prior to op..I normally used 5% twice per day. Any negative experiences with anyone using rhogaine on the new grafts 8 days or sooner post op? Ie. inflamation, faster shedding etc.??

Also.. question about scar. I had about 1200 grafts on the hairline done. However, my scar runs from the top of my right ear down to the left side of the back of my head.. Question: does this seem long to anyone for 1200 grafts and what happens if I need another 2000+ down the road?

questions for the doc.. i know.. but I thought I'd throw it out there for some additional experienced opinions...

just had my staples pulled today - day 8.

That was a fun experience icon_eek.gif

Question about rhogaine use on new grafts. Prior to op..I normally used 5% twice per day. Any negative experiences with anyone using rhogaine on the new grafts 8 days or sooner post op? Ie. inflamation, faster shedding etc.??

Also.. question about scar. I had about 1200 grafts on the hairline done. However, my scar runs from the top of my right ear down to the left side of the back of my head.. Question: does this seem long to anyone for 1200 grafts and what happens if I need another 2000+ down the road?

questions for the doc.. i know.. but I thought I'd throw it out there for some additional experienced opinions...

clife8,

I always advise people to wait a month before they use minoxodil just because it can be a scalp irritant and your scalp is already a bit inflamed from the surgery.

Unfortunately, I can't speak as to whether or not there would be a negative effect - assisting fast shock loss, etc...however, anything negative would be temporary. Some even believe it helps minimize the risk for shock loss and help grafts come out of the resting phase more quickly. It appears pretty inconsistent, however...I believe personal physiology has much more to do with it than minoxodil.

It's best to consult your HT doc, however, to get his imput. BUT, many people do start using minoxodil shortly after surgery.

About scarring: There are 2 things to consider when thinking about your scar. Length and width. If your scar is long, and you only received 1200 grafts, the width of the strip would be shorter than if 2000 grafts were extracted, for example. That being said...it is commonplace for the doctors to go longer with the scar since laxity impacts witdh, not length. You should be just fine.

Bill

Bill

Hi Clife8,

I started using rogaine foam about two weeks after surgery and did experience redness so I stopped and restarted after 1 month. I still experienced some redness so started up again around 2.5 months with no problem.

I guess it varies from person to person so I would give it a month and monitor since you may still experience irritation.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day