Crusts- Input please

I am at the 15-day mark and the crusts have taken hold.

I realize that most clinics have you vigorously removing them at day ten. However, my instructions are to leave them alone and begin light manipultation (I love that word!!) at the three week mark and at the four week mark to begin washing like normal. I am using the cup with shampoo method (since day one) and just began putting on Rogaine Foam gently with my finger tips.

Why are some docs more conservative than others? What are some of your experiences? Any risk in leaving in the crusts for such a long period of time?

Thanks all and doc inputs would also be great here as well!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I am at the 15-day mark and the crusts have taken hold.

I realize that most clinics have you vigorously removing them at day ten. However, my instructions are to leave them alone and begin light manipultation (I love that word!!) at the three week mark and at the four week mark to begin washing like normal. I am using the cup with shampoo method (since day one) and just began putting on Rogaine Foam gently with my finger tips.

Why are some docs more conservative than others? What are some of your experiences? Any risk in leaving in the crusts for such a long period of time?

Thanks all and doc inputs would also be great here as well!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Eman,

I had all of my crusts removed by day 8. You should fill up your sink with water and add some shampoo to the head and soak your head under the water in the sink of several minutes at a time and then gently start rubbing off the scabs in circular motion with soft tips of finger. Dont press down hard and dont use the finger nails. Just rub gently and the crusts will start to loosen up and come off. Itll take 2-3 days for it all to come off if you soak them up in water several times a day.

Let me know how it all goes. At this stage all of your grafts are safe and firmly in place. You do not have to worry about losing them.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Eman,

In my opinion, it's always best to follow the advice of your surgeon since technique varies between clinics. However, since Dr. Rahal's postoperative instructions differ from the majority, it would be interesting to get his input on his reasons for leaving the recipient area alone or a month.

For the approach I used, see "How Should I Wash My Hair After a Hair Transplant?"

Best wishes,

Bill

Ok, so I was being a tad conservative in my post-op handling of the recipient area. Dr. Rahal just wants to make sure one is very gentle on the grafts. At day nine or ten, the grafts have taken hold, but after that I should be using the pads of my fingers gently massaging the crusts. But, most importantly, the crusts need to be thoroughly damp/saturated before doing so. They cannot be dry when gently massaging them.

So, I just need a tad more patience and really begin 'gently' working off the crusts in the next couple of days.

My initial HT thread: