How much is everyone paying for Proscar?

mistermike

I deferred my HT until next year, but started on Propecia (Proscar). Dr Tessler (Michigan) wrote the prescription, and it cost me $15 for eight 5mg pills (my insurance paid the rest). Is this what most people are paying? It doesn't sound outrageous to me... in fact, I heard Propecia was closer to $60/month.

I know Proscar is the generic, but is there any real difference between Proscar and Propecia? Thanks!

mistermike,

Actually, Proscar is not the generic of Propecia. They are just two different doseages of the same active ingredient, Finasteride. Proscar is 5mg of Finasteride while Propecia is only 1mg. Many hair loss sufferers have found that they have saved a considerable amount by simply cutting Proscar into quarters (at 1.25 mg per day) or, if they are good with a pill cutter or knife, fifths (at 1 mg per day).

The price you are paying sounds very good, especially since no insurance that I know will pay any part of Propecia since it is prescribed solely for hair loss purposes whereas Proscar is intended for BPH.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert - thanks for explaining... I thought Proscar was a generic equivalent. My insurance paid about 50% of the total price.

I bought a pill cutter and I'm cutting them into quarters, taking one quarter each day for four days (then nothing on the fifth day). This is what Dr Tessler recommended... does that sound OK to you, or should I take a quarter (1.25mg) everyday?

Thanks again Robert!

In the long run, I can't see how it would matter one way or the other, to tell you the truth. But I am not a doctor, so to tell you the truth I would say to go with what Dr. Tessler recommends. Skipping that extra 1.25 mg every fifth day is pretty insignificant to have any detrimental effect.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog