More Density with Pictures

Dr. Alan Feller

Dr. Feller,

I noticed that your patient's head is shaved. Do you prefer that your patients buzz their hair before their procedure? Is the logic just that it is easier for the doctor to work in an area of shorter hair? Thanks and great pictures.

Horace

I didn't shave this patient's hair, this is how he has kept it for years to minimize the impact of his baldness. You know the idea, keep the rest of the hair buzzed and people won't notice the balding area.

Fortunately for me and my staff, this patient didn't have any long terminal hairs in the "work zone" so I wouldn't have had to cut any hair even if he did choose to wear his sides and back long.

Cutting the hair in the recipient area has many advantages. Aside from making the work "easier" for me and my staff, it definietely allows for a denser pack, more hair, a more accurate and less traumatic slit incision, decreased bleeding, decreased need for injected medication, and a decreased surgical time. I assure you the greatest advantage is to the patient.

Before you begin to think I attack every patient with a buzzer, realize that I am very selective with the hair I buzz. In most cases I leave enough hair to "cover up" the baldness.

Understand also that if you have so much hair in the recipient area that cutting it would make a significant cosmetic difference, then maybe you shouldn't be placing transplants into that spot!

Dense packing allows me to decrease the amount of hair buzzed because I am usually working in one tight spot. This method, I feel, makes the first few weeks after surgery far easier to conceal.

Dr Feller