What to ask in a consultation

You guys (and gals?) are great with your responses.

So I am planning on a free consult with the Shapiro group. What questions should I ask?

I kinda get the idea of the procedure itself but among the posts that I read (about MHR) I saw interesting comments like: who is doing the procedure: someone complained about the doctor doing the hairlines and "kids" doing the rest.

Someone else was talking about the specifics - I cannot read my notes now - about using special blades?

Thank you for any information.

You guys (and gals?) are great with your responses.

So I am planning on a free consult with the Shapiro group. What questions should I ask?

I kinda get the idea of the procedure itself but among the posts that I read (about MHR) I saw interesting comments like: who is doing the procedure: someone complained about the doctor doing the hairlines and "kids" doing the rest.

Someone else was talking about the specifics - I cannot read my notes now - about using special blades?

Thank you for any information.

- Make sure they do FU (follicular unit) grafts.

- Check if they extract a strip or do FUE; both will give the same result per graft. Strip allows for a larger session and leaves a scar in the donor site, FUE is pricier.

- Ask how many techs they have, how many years of experience the techs possess, and are they employed by the clinic full-time. This is important as the techs will do most of the graft placement.

- Ask to be put in touch with actual patients, if possible.

- Ask if they shave the recipient site. Some doctors do as it makes surgery easier and less error-prone, some don't because patients don't want to shave down.

- Ask if they extract the strip in parts or in one piece. One piece is generally not a good idea, makes it easier for the doctor to screw up.

- Make sure you get a prescription for painkillers ahead of time!

- If you're not on Propecia, see if you can get the doctor to write you a prescription.

Others will probably chime in with good info, this is all I can think of for now icon_smile.gif