PLEASE ANSWER?

EDDIED

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF IT IS OK THAT THE HAIRS IN MY FOLLICURE TRANSPLANT FALL OUT 2 DAYS AFTER SURGEY? I ALSO HAVE SMALL PIECES OF FLESH?STICKING OUT OF SOME GRAFTS.IS THIS OKAY? ITS NOT NOT PART OF A SCAB, BUT IS PROTRUDING ABOUT ONE QUARTER INCH FROM MY SCALP.SOME OF MY FOLLICURE GRAFTS CAME LOOSE, ABOUT 10,BUT THE SURGON SAID THAT WAS NORMAL AND NOT TO BE CONCERNED.I GUESS EVARY THING LOOKS GOOD OTHERWISE NO INFECTION AND SUCH.WILL THE GRAFTS THAT HAVE THIS FLESH PROTRUDING OUT STILL PRODUCE HAIR? THE HAIR IS STILL THERE WITH THIS LITTLE PIECE OF FLESH AROUND IT. PLEASE HELP ME OUT IF YOU CAN. ALSO ANY IDEAS ON TO CARE FOR THE AREA AFTER TREATMENT? THANKS SO MUCH

ED

eddie

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF IT IS OK THAT THE HAIRS IN MY FOLLICURE TRANSPLANT FALL OUT 2 DAYS AFTER SURGEY? I ALSO HAVE SMALL PIECES OF FLESH?STICKING OUT OF SOME GRAFTS.IS THIS OKAY? ITS NOT NOT PART OF A SCAB, BUT IS PROTRUDING ABOUT ONE QUARTER INCH FROM MY SCALP.SOME OF MY FOLLICURE GRAFTS CAME LOOSE, ABOUT 10,BUT THE SURGON SAID THAT WAS NORMAL AND NOT TO BE CONCERNED.I GUESS EVARY THING LOOKS GOOD OTHERWISE NO INFECTION AND SUCH.WILL THE GRAFTS THAT HAVE THIS FLESH PROTRUDING OUT STILL PRODUCE HAIR? THE HAIR IS STILL THERE WITH THIS LITTLE PIECE OF FLESH AROUND IT. PLEASE HELP ME OUT IF YOU CAN. ALSO ANY IDEAS ON TO CARE FOR THE AREA AFTER TREATMENT? THANKS SO MUCH

ED

eddie

My surgeon told me that I should call him if any of the tissue came-out. This was something he wanted to deal with. It did not happen in my case. Your Dr. told you not to worry about it?

I hoped someone who knows more than me would jump in with some advice here. If I were you, I'd insist on seeing my DR. ASAP about these bits of flesh coming out. I wouldn't take no for an answer.

Anybody out there know more about this.

I hoped someone who knows more than me would jump in with some advice here. If I were you, I'd insist on seeing my DR. ASAP about these bits of flesh coming out. I wouldn't take no for an answer.

Anybody out there know more about this?

Sometimes grafts can die, for a variety of reasons I believe. They can be improperly seated, they can be mishandled, etc. I believe having one or two grafts "pop out" or die per every thousand transplanted, is not considered "out of line". Even 10 may not be a red flag...I think the main thing that makes grafts pop out is "pressure" in the scalp, in other words if you have had thousands of grafts put in, that creates some additional tension, and it is possible a couple will pop out. 10 grafts is a few more than anyone wants, but it may not be an emergency if that is all you lose.

Be sure you are treating your grafts gently, and also not exerting yourself for the first 2 weeks to a month, etc. Follow your clinic's post-operative instructions very closely. You don't want to be lifting heavy things or doing anything that will create pressure in your scalp. Be extra careful even bending over to tie your shoelaces the first few days.

If I were you I'd contact your doctor if you have any other questions about caring for your grafts.

I just re-read your first post. If you have other grafts that seem like they are popping out (more than the 10 you mentioned) you should probably see your doctor right away. It sounds like you may be in danger of losing some more?

Let us know what happens!

went back to the doctor today. he said all looks well. i believe he is right. The piece of flesh that is sticking out of some grafts is hard like a scab now and has a hair or two coming from it.There is no bleeding what so ever.The hairs that are protruding from this are well seated in my scalp. It is 5 days post op and he said more or less all follicures should be seated by now. Scabs are starting to fall and swelling is almost all gone.I did loose maybe 10 follicure grafts but I think that is not to be a concern, being I had 1400 follicure grafts put in. I just woyuld like to thank all of you for your quick responses on this site. I am a NYC Fire Fighter and it was a great decision to have this done. since 9-11 I feel I owe it to myself to be as happy as I can.I ve been through alot and this is a walk in the park if all goes well.I had my work done by Eastwood Medical by Doctor Loria. I was referred to him by another brother fireman. Does any body else have any imput regarding Dr Loria? He seems to care and that means alot to me. Please fell fee to give me any more input that may be helpful in my quest for bettering myself.

Thanks Again and god bless

eddie

Hi Eddie

I think the best doctor in the New York area for Hair Transplants is Dr. Bernstein at NHI. He is one of the best in the world.

Did Dr. Loria and his assistants use microscopes (not magnifiers that they wear, but binocular microscopes) to dissect your grafts? That is the most efficient way to use your donor hair. Read the article "The Best Procedure" on your left. It explains the use of the microscope, and why Follicular Unit grafts look more natural than Minigrafts. If I were you, I would only get microscopically-dissected Follicular Unit grafts, because they are the most natural looking. The "all-FU transplant" is considered state-of-the-art. I just checked out Dr. Loria's website, it may not be up-to-date, but it says he uses a mix of Minigrafts and Micrografts. That approach is not as good. Maybe his website needs to be updated...?

You might still end up with a satisfactory result, give yourself about a year to decide if you are happy with your new look. I certainly hope everything works out for you, I think guys should only get "amazing" looking hair transplants, anything else is not worth it. Go for the best, when it comes to your appearance.

If you think you might go for a second procedure, please do yourself a favor and check out Dr. Bernstein, and see what you think. His website is www.newhair.com and it is pretty informative. He is "no-pressure" and you would be smart to shop around a little, before any more surgeries.

Any other questions, just ask...

I don't want to bring you down while you are still fresh from surgery, but I feel like it is important to be honest. I personally had bad results from a hair transplant because nobody would "shoot straight" with me, so I think it is important to get the facts out there first, and worry about guys' feelings second.

Guest Dude

Arfy

Relative to the discussion we had a few weeks ago on all fu's vs mixed fu and mini transplants, don't you agree that in the right hands a mixed approach is also acceptable and may in fact be more beneficial to some patients depending on their current hair loss?

The term "mixed grafts" is vague, and can mean anything and everything. I think it is Dr. Parsely who says he uses 2% Minigrafts, and everything else he uses is a FU. There are some doctors (Shapiro may be one, I believe...?) who will occasionally use limited amounts of "coupled FU grafts". Those grafts are still microscopically-dissected FUs, unlike Minigrafts. Some patients have low donor density, which is one of the reasons given. (Donor density is "how many follicles per graft" and not "how close together are the FUs" as I used to think). If a patient has almost all 1&2 follicle FUs, then supposedly "coupled FUs" are used sometimes. Again, that is not a Minigraft.

I personally would only get FU grafts, and NEVER agree to get Minigrafts. In my opinion, the biggest priority is naturalness, and density is secondary. I would also resist coupled FUs.

If you read Dr. Beehner's posts carefully, he says that there are some experienced surgeons and clinics who can get good density with "all-FUs", because skill and experience are factors. Other less-experienced doctors might need to use coupled grafts in that same situation. Dr. Beehner basically leaves it up to the experience and philosophy of the individual doctor, and doesn't say one way is better or worse. What he does say is that some doctors get better results doing it one way, and other doctors get better results doing it another way.

I say it's worth seeking out the doctors who get the best results when they use only FUs (or the rare limited use of "coupled FUs".) And absolutely avoid doctors who use Minigrafts. If I am not mistaken, Dr. Bernstein is one of the doctors who only uses FU grafts, because he has the experience and skills.

According to Loria's website, he uses Minigrafts and Micrografts. That is NOT good, in my opinion! I've also read some less-than flattering reports online about Dr. Loria. Since Dr. Bernstein is considered probably one of the very best in the world, a New York native owes it to himself to at least consult with Dr. Bernstein.