Progressive Hair Shaft Thinning

Hello Everyone

I've been losing my hair since last year.Recently I saw my dermatologist and was diagnosed with Trichotillomania Areata. I was pretty sure that I have MPB.

The thing is, every hair I shed is very thick and continues to lose its thickness and pigment while going towards root. I mean my hair lose 80% of their thickness from tip to root. Isn't this the scenario in MPB?

As far as I know progressive thinning means Alopecia Areata.

Thanks In Advance

Hello Everyone

I've been losing my hair since last year.Recently I saw my dermatologist and was diagnosed with Trichotillomania Areata. I was pretty sure that I have MPB.

The thing is, every hair I shed is very thick and continues to lose its thickness and pigment while going towards root. I mean my hair lose 80% of their thickness from tip to root. Isn't this the scenario in MPB?

As far as I know progressive thinning means Alopecia Areata.

Thanks In Advance

CyberneticNuker,

Trichtillomania refers to an impulse control disorder where patients pull out their own hair. Does this description fit you?

A gradual thinning of the hair on top of the scalp typically is a sign of androgenetic alopecia.

Alopecia areata is something entirely different and is characterized by bald patches on the scalp or body. The hair in these patches typically fall out rapidly creating a complete bald spot. Alopecia areata has been conjectured to be an autoimmunity disorder whereby you become allergic to your own hair and your immune system attacks it.

If you have pictures or can give us more information, we can help you further.

Best wishes,

Bill