Post Surgery Procedures.

Lupster

Several years ago I had 200 grafts will Bosely Medical in Chicago. After the surgery I drove myself  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would depend upon how much and what type of anesthesia and sedation you receive. Also, how long you remain at the doctors office after the procedure is over. My recommendation is if you are close to the doctors office, take a taxi. If you are further away, stay over at a hotel near the doctors office the night of the procedure, then drive home the next morning. It is simply not worth the risk. Think of the cost of either a taxi ride or a hotel stay as insurance against the type of trouble which could occur on a post-op ride home.

If your doc gives you a sedative as most do, you would be driving under the influence of the drug, which in most states is illegal.

If it's close take a taxi. Otherwise stay overnight and drive home the next day.

I did drive myself home after my last procedure. Upon receiveing the sedatives, which i honestly don't remember the meds, but was one particular med plus a valium under the toungue at the onset of the procedure. When i drove home was probrably 6 hours later and felt as awake as i did as when i walked in that a.m. Looking back and being older and wiser, was not the smartest move. And by the way was stuck in traffic in manhattan going home for 2 1/2hours which would be 1/2 hour w/ no traffic.

The hotel option seems like a very good idea.

October 2001, in Chicago, I had 900 grafts done and drove myself home - about one hour away from the surgeon's office. I had been given a Darvon - Verced "cocktail" for the procedure. I slept through most of the surgery. The surgeon mentioned nothing about driving afterwards and I felt fine driving home. I was alert and felt quite "sober," for lack of a better expression. But, I was rather tired.

On Thursday of this week, I had my second surgery with Dr. Keene in Tucscn. She started me with 20mg. valium taken orally. It quickly sent me into a heavy daze, but didn't just totally level me in the way the drugs used the first time around did. I slept quite a bit, but also had a few periods of relative lucidity. I was aware, for example, each time my vitals were taken and understood them.

During both surgeries, I was given additional medication about halfway through the procedure. I don't remember if I was given 10 or 20 mg. additional by Dr. Keene.

Prior to surgery, in both written and oral communication, Dr. Keene informs patients that they will not be permitted to drive themselves home because it is both illegal and dangerous. Her staff arranges a taxi pick-up for those without a driver. I mentioned that my hotel was about 1 1/2 blocks from her office and that I had walked to the office that morning. Nonetheless, they called a cab and insisted I take it.

And, they were absolutely right. I don't know why I felt fine driving after the first surgery, but I would have probably been run down just crossing the street if I had been permitted to walk home from the second. And driving would have been impossible as well.

I don't know why there was a difference from surgery #1 to surgery #2 post-op sedation level. I don't know enough about the pharmacology involved, whether the the differences had something to do with dosages or longer versus shorter acting medications. I do know, however, that 30 or 40 mg. of valium is a whopper of a dose (but safe) for someone who is not on CNS depressants regularly.

It's possible, too, that Dr. Keene had me take Darvocet befoe leaving the office. She emphasized that pain raises b.p. and, thus, increases bleeding and scabbing. I just don't remember if I took the Darvocet before leaving the office. This, too, says something about my condition at the time. Darvocet & driving also don't mix well, to say the least.

I vote: take no chances: hotel and taxi. Some good common sense needs to over-rule concerns about pride. I don't feel very good about the fact that my first surgeon mentioned nothing about driving - even considering the fatigue factor alone.

My fantasy:

Paramedic #1: "I'm afraid this one's gone"

Paramedic #2: "Yeah, you're right, but what the hell do you suppose happened to his scalp? Man, that looks nasty."

[This message was edited by paul148 on December 22, 2002 at 11:05 AM.]

I have had two surgeries with Dr. Keene. The first time I was quite groggy and actually think I may have fell asleep during the surgery. Went back to the hotel by taxi and fell asleep for a couple hours. The second time I was more alert during the surgery (maybe I got less meds?), and felt fine afterwards. I didn't really ask about the meds. So, I guess it varies, but I wouldn't consider driving for a few hours after, an any case. It isn't worth the risk.