35 and hair that is slowly thinning across the top - I'm new at this, so forgive . . .

bruiser4794

I am 35 years old with dark brown, curly/wavy, coarse hair (think Seth Rogan). It used to be extremely thick all over. Now, it is only extremely thick along the sides and in the back of my head.

Over the last year or so, I have noticed that my hair is slowly thinning across the top. 'Luckily' for me, my hair is dark and curly/wavy enough to where it is very difficult for anyone to notice that it is thinning.

However, when I get out of the shower, it looks like I am darned near bald. I am also at a point where I have to 'arrange' my hair to cover the areas that are most thin, which are location more or less 'straight up' from my temples.

As far as I can tell, my hairline is not receding (at least in the sense that I have thick hair on top that is just moving back) and I am not losing any hair at the crown of my head.

I have not lost enough hair to where any type of surgery is necessary or even feasible. I'll probably be there in a year or two.

I have lost enough to where I would like to 1) try to not lose anymore and/or 2) regrow what I've lost. I guess that sounds like most everyone else on this board.

I have several questions:

1. What supplements have the board members found to be useful? I see Fish Oil and MSM on a few threads. I am taking both, not for hair loss, but for general health. However, I don't take them regularly, which I am trying to now do.

2. It seems as if a combination of Propecia and Rogaine is what most people find success with. Is this correct?

3. It is my understanding that Rogaine is available OTC. Is this correct? If so, which brand/dosage/application is best (I have literally just started looking into this so I have no clue.)?

4. It is my understanding that Propecia is by prescription only. Is this correct?

5. Does anybody have a recommendation for a Doctor in Dallas?

I am 35 years old with dark brown, curly/wavy, coarse hair (think Seth Rogan). It used to be extremely thick all over. Now, it is only extremely thick along the sides and in the back of my head.

Over the last year or so, I have noticed that my hair is slowly thinning across the top. 'Luckily' for me, my hair is dark and curly/wavy enough to where it is very difficult for anyone to notice that it is thinning.

However, when I get out of the shower, it looks like I am darned near bald. I am also at a point where I have to 'arrange' my hair to cover the areas that are most thin, which are location more or less 'straight up' from my temples.

As far as I can tell, my hairline is not receding (at least in the sense that I have thick hair on top that is just moving back) and I am not losing any hair at the crown of my head.

I have not lost enough hair to where any type of surgery is necessary or even feasible. I'll probably be there in a year or two.

I have lost enough to where I would like to 1) try to not lose anymore and/or 2) regrow what I've lost. I guess that sounds like most everyone else on this board.

I have several questions:

1. What supplements have the board members found to be useful? I see Fish Oil and MSM on a few threads. I am taking both, not for hair loss, but for general health. However, I don't take them regularly, which I am trying to now do.

2. It seems as if a combination of Propecia and Rogaine is what most people find success with. Is this correct?

3. It is my understanding that Rogaine is available OTC. Is this correct? If so, which brand/dosage/application is best (I have literally just started looking into this so I have no clue.)?

4. It is my understanding that Propecia is by prescription only. Is this correct?

5. Does anybody have a recommendation for a Doctor in Dallas?

1. I'm not sure about the supplements, but those are good for your health for sure.

2. Correct. Try to get a prescription from your family doc for Proscar. It is finasteride at 5 mg. You should cut the pill into 1/3's and take M-W-F. Proscar is much, much cheaper that Propecia and the only differences are the name and the dose. Propecia is 1mg finasteride.

I like the Rogaine Foam, which you can buy at rogaine.com or Walmart. I think it's a little cheaper online, about $58 for a 4-pack (4 month supply). Whereas Walmart sells a 3-pack for about $48. Give this a year to see if it works. Best to make some pics now and check your progress at 1 year. A lot of guys quit and then suddenly get thinner, because they didn't think it had worked. Better to have pics to compare.

3. See above. Go with the 5%. It's a bargain now compared to when I took it briefly back in 1988 (about $140 per month when adjusted for inflation).

4. Yes, but my family doc gave me 3 years worth of refills just last week. They all know about it. Some guys get insurance to take care of it. For me, it's about $80 for a 3 month supply.

5. These three are recommended, but I haven't seen a lot of their work.... http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physicia...list.asp?StateAbr=TX

Dr. Alexander in Arizona is solid as well.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week