Sunburn on transplanted area

On July 3rd, I had a 2100+ FU procedure. Yesterday, July 20th, I took my kids to the neighborhood pool for a few hours. I applied sunscreen (spf 45) to my scalp three different times while there and wore a hat when not in the pool. Last night, I noticed some redness on my scalp. I'm not sure if it was from a sunburn or if the scalp was previously like that from the surgery. I'm probably just panicking because I know that a sunburn on the transplanted area is fatal to the follicles. I also applied sunscreen to my shoulders and back and didn't receive any sunburn on those areas.

My question is, how much sun should be avoided? Can I get by with sunscreen or should I always wear a hat when outside more than a few minues (like mowing the lawn). Could I have possibly damaged my transplanted area by exposing my scalp to the sun yesterday or does it take a severe sunburn to do damage?

On July 3rd, I had a 2100+ FU procedure. Yesterday, July 20th, I took my kids to the neighborhood pool for a few hours. I applied sunscreen (spf 45) to my scalp three different times while there and wore a hat when not in the pool. Last night, I noticed some redness on my scalp. I'm not sure if it was from a sunburn or if the scalp was previously like that from the surgery. I'm probably just panicking because I know that a sunburn on the transplanted area is fatal to the follicles. I also applied sunscreen to my shoulders and back and didn't receive any sunburn on those areas.

My question is, how much sun should be avoided? Can I get by with sunscreen or should I always wear a hat when outside more than a few minues (like mowing the lawn). Could I have possibly damaged my transplanted area by exposing my scalp to the sun yesterday or does it take a severe sunburn to do damage?

Hi,

I got my HT on june 13 th. Snce then I keep away from the sun. Here in Belgium that is easy do to because so far the summer hasn't produced a lot of sunny days. I noticed however that even after 6 weeks after OP my scalp is still very sensitive to the sunlight.

Today the weather is great and we going to have a BBQ. I will be wearing a cap for sure, I dont want to take risks. I am planning to avoid direct sunlight until the regrows can provide naturale cover again. As for regrows they have already kicked in since a couple of days now. I guess after reading many postings here I consider myself lucky having regrows after not even 2 months.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

About 2 weeks after my HT last August, my scalp got pretty sunburned, to the point it was peeling several days later. (Not too smart, right?). But anyway it happened and of course I freaked out, thinking the new follicles were fried for sure. Not the case though, as everything popped up right on schedule and growing strong. All that to say that although I would never encourage this sort of behavior, I don't think you need to worry too much about it either. icon_smile.gif