Concealers after HT?

jmax

I have not yet had HT, but am strongly considering it (and figuring out how to pay for it). Anyway, I currently use Dermmatch with a little Toppik fairly effectively. I look like I'm going bald, but not bald yet. Without it, however, my scalp shines through (literally). My question is: after surgery, I would like to continue to use these products while I await the new hair to grow. How soon after surgery could I start to use Dermmatch and/or Toppik?

I have not yet had HT, but am strongly considering it (and figuring out how to pay for it). Anyway, I currently use Dermmatch with a little Toppik fairly effectively. I look like I'm going bald, but not bald yet. Without it, however, my scalp shines through (literally). My question is: after surgery, I would like to continue to use these products while I await the new hair to grow. How soon after surgery could I start to use Dermmatch and/or Toppik?

I agree with Specs. I would give it ~2 weeks. If you are having a FUT done and are getting the sutures taken out by your physician, then ask them when you go in what he/she thinks. If you are getting your sutures pulled somewhere else, then just shoot the clinic that performed your procedure a photo of the recipient area so they can assess it and ask them what they think that way.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I thought that the drs give you toppik themselves so that you can cover it up for the first week or so bc I cant take more than 7 days off work and i was also hoping on using toppik and dermatch

The first week after the procedure the grafts are still setting into their new homes. It takes at least 7 days or so for the follicles to completely "anchor" themselves in as permanent fixtures in the scalp tissue.

Dermmatch adheres to follicles and also paints the scalp to take away the contrast between scalp color and hair color, essentially camoflaging the thinning spot. Subjecting those precious new grafts to that would not be giving them optimal conditions for future growth.

You may be able to get away with Toppik the first week but I am hesitant to recommend it. Definitely the second week, but not the first. Go by your physician's recommendations, of course, but just be careful - especially when shampooing the Toppik out of the area.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog