Yearning for HT

Hi. I am in the process of trying to plan a HT. I started losing hair at age 20, and now i'm 26. I started rogaine foam 8 months ago, no success at all. My dad was a NW 2.5 at age 54, and my paternal grandfather has more hair than me already. My maternal grandfather has all his hair still. I only notice a receding/thinning hairline, my crown looks good. I seem to be following my dad's route, and his hairline was just a bit higher than mine and a lil thinner overall, but not diffuse, he still had good coverage where you couldn't see the scalp. Right now i'm very frustrated with my hair and i'm ready to do something about it. Can you guys help me with deciding what NW class i'm in and what I should expect?? I threw in a picture of where I want my transplant hair to be, so far I've sent my pictures to dr. rahal, and he estimated 2500 grafts to fill in the front and re-establish my hairline.

here are my pics:

forumpic.jpg

forumpic2.jpg

forumpic3.jpg

forumpic4.jpg

forumpic5.jpg

forumpic6.jpg

Hi. I am in the process of trying to plan a HT. I started losing hair at age 20, and now i'm 26. I started rogaine foam 8 months ago, no success at all. My dad was a NW 2.5 at age 54, and my paternal grandfather has more hair than me already. My maternal grandfather has all his hair still. I only notice a receding/thinning hairline, my crown looks good. I seem to be following my dad's route, and his hairline was just a bit higher than mine and a lil thinner overall, but not diffuse, he still had good coverage where you couldn't see the scalp. Right now i'm very frustrated with my hair and i'm ready to do something about it. Can you guys help me with deciding what NW class i'm in and what I should expect?? I threw in a picture of where I want my transplant hair to be, so far I've sent my pictures to dr. rahal, and he estimated 2500 grafts to fill in the front and re-establish my hairline.

here are my pics:

forumpic.jpg

forumpic2.jpg

forumpic3.jpg

forumpic4.jpg

forumpic5.jpg

forumpic6.jpg

Based on your profile pic I would say you're a Norwood 2; however, the hair at the upper temple angles appears thinner in some of the others, so maybe pushing NW3? Norwood 2 is considered to represent the mature hairline, and isn't classified as balding. That's what I was pre-transplant too. Rogaine foam most likely will not regrow hair in the hairline. Are you taking finasteride (Propecia)? I'd imagine the doctor would discuss this option with you to protect against more significant future loss. Dr. Rahal's estimate may change if he assess your hair loss in person since he only has access to pictures right now. Many people would consider 2500 grafts at age 26 in the hair line a little aggressive. But, provided you have a good donor area and you guys can develop an overall game plan, 2500 with Rahal you should be golden icon_cool.gif.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Guest wanthairs

My freind....

You are nuts. Dotn even think about gettiing a hair transplant. YOU LOOK GREAT !!!!

I would pay a million bucks, and whore out my wife, mother, sister and daughter to have the head of hair you have... you lucky son of a gun.....

If youre that worried, add NIzoral shampoo and talk to a doctor about maybe doing propecia....and wait another ten years when there may be new technology or trasnplants may be much ceaper and better etc etc etc......

thanks for the comments. Well everybody's hairloss effects them differently. If i were to look at someone with a better head of hair than mine, i would be thinking the same thing icon_smile.gif . But it does effect me to a great deal. In the side profile is when i actually comb it the way i always do to disguise it a bit. The other pictures are with it combed straight up and back just so i can show where the hairline has gone. I don't ever where it that way, although i would if my hair was like it used to be icon_frown.gif . I thought 2500 grafts was a little on the high side, but Rahal even said things change when he sees me in person.

Benihana,

I can understand both sides of the issue.

As you said, everyone's hair loss impacts them in different ways. Those with a lot of hair loss (like myself) could only wish to have as much hair as you have. On the other hand, I remember what it was like when I first started losing my hair. Even the slightest thinning caused me concern.

I think at 26 years old with minimal hair loss however, you might NOT be a good candidate for a hair transplant. The main reason for this is because you are still young with minimal loss and hair loss is unpredictable.

I recommend reading the following threads to get an understanding of why people are cautioning you:

Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant?

What should I consider when researching hair transplantation?.

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks for your concerns guys. But do you really think my hairloss is that minimal? The temples have gone back about 1.5-2 inches and the front has gone back an inch, with thinning in the front. My family history of hairloss is no crown loss and at worst a NW 3. My dad was in a similar situation like me, starting losing early twenties, but once he reached about 28-29, his hair stayed the same all the way to like 54. my hairloss pattern is the same way as his. He was NW3 at worst.

oh, and Bill, I really like your front hairline with those HT's I wish i could have that density in the way front. My plan is to get a hairline HT , then later on get more work done if things progress, or maybe we can all be lucky and a new drug comes out that works alot better than today's drugs, or if HM finally renders itself useful and gives all of guys what we all want in the end, a thick full head of hair that will NEVER fall out.

Benihana, in my opinion if you:

1). don't have signifcant miniturization elsewere beside the hairline

2). acknowledge the fact that you might need more work further down the line

3). commited to taking medication to halt/slow down further loss

4). definitely decided that the shave look is not for you

then I say go for it. Dr. Rahal is an ethical doctor. Have a great transplant!

Bill, I have a question. If this guy had significant hairloss at the age of 26 do you think he would have been a better candidate?

Benihana...

I agree that 2500 is a bit high for just hairline work. Especially in your case, where your hair has a natural curls, it helps create the illusion of density much better than my straight hair. I personally think 1500 will be enough, to blend in with the existing hairline that you have. Maybe you'd want to try to take a picture in brighter lighting to help us see your true density, the darker lighting help disguise your NW level. I think your hair is fine now, but this is coming from someone your age with a more noticeble thinning, search for my pics in the album section, you'll know what I mean. In the hands of a expert surgeon, you should see very minimal shockloss, I personally didn't notice any shockloss at all, so if there are any, it's very very minimal. I got 2000 grafts done by Dr. Keene in AZ, and my hairline is much thinner than yours, and more pronounced receding in the temple area. Dr. Keene lowerd my hair line by about an inch all around, I'm 3 months post op now, and I'm very happy with the results so far. Good luck.

I can see both sides here as well; I just tend to trust the judgment of the Coalition doctors as it has been drilled into my head how ethical they are. I suppose nothing is absolute however, as posters on occasion have reported bad experiences even after being worked on by the elite. I want to ask you guys a question about this type of procedure since I am almost in the same boat as Benihana, although my hairline was not as receded and I only needed 600 grafts. Let's say upon closer inspection in person Rahal recommends 2000 instead of 2500. Hypothetically, let's imagine the bad scenario unfolding (we'll throw family history, Propecia, Minoxidil, and concealers out of the equation here): Benihana has the procedure and loses significant amounts of hair on top and in the crown. If he has an above average donor supply, let's say like 7000-8000, do you think it would look that unnatural with today's refined methods to use the remaining 5000-6000 grafts on top and taper a little bit to the crown (with mainly empty very/thin crown)? I don't mean unnatural to us, I mean to the average person. I know everyone here says you never see a person with an intact youthful hairline and a bald spot but I say that I do see this on occasion. Maybe they are in fact the results of transplants, but I never think it looks all that unnatural. And if you do want to consider medications and concealers, I mean, do you really think it could wind up looking that unreasonable? We mainly have old plug work judge this kind of thing by. And you have to imagine that Dr. Rahal is taking these factors into consideration.

Bill,

Let's take you for example: you are a self described Norwood 6; you had 7550 grafts transplanted; you have a relatively youthful looking hairline as far HTs go, with a thinner crown. From the front and even from the top, you do represent the head of hair that has a lower hairline and the illusion of being full with a thinner crown IMO. My hairline is a little lower than yours, but I would like to believe that if I, or someone like Benihana and Scooping Around, do descend into the upper Norwood area that results similar to yours would be possible after having early, refined hairline work (provided the donor is there). I wanted to bring this stuff up on the live chat but my damn screwy schedule has prevented my from joining in.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

LOL... dude, you must be kidding me. NO ONE but you is noticing your "hair loss" at this point. Try to remember that. You have a natural man's hairline. You want to look like you are 12 or what?

Wait a few years and see what happens. Seriously, you REALLY shouldn't be worrying!!

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Don't bet on genetics alone to save you. Look for miniaturization all over your head.

My father is in his 60's with a NW#2.5 his entire adult life. Both gandfathers had NW#2s at death. My father's brother is a NW#1 in his 50s. But I'm worse than all of them in my late 20's with a NW#3 that will eventually be a NW#4-5A.

------------------------------------------------