New to the Forum

ajr

Hi All-

I'm 53 and just about to start looking into hair transplants. I believe that my hair loss has stopped now, with a nearly bald crown and most of the top gone as well. I do not want to have to take any meds for the rest of my life and I notice many of you here do take some such as Propecia, etc. My first question I guess, is that necessary if one's hair loss has stopped?

I'm not trying to get my hairline of 30 years ago, just a "normal" one for a man of my age. I'll continue to read your posts and appreciate the vast amount of knowledge contined on this web-site. I've already determined that none of the Big Advertisers are getting anywhere near my head!

Thanks-

AJR

Hi All-

I'm 53 and just about to start looking into hair transplants. I believe that my hair loss has stopped now, with a nearly bald crown and most of the top gone as well. I do not want to have to take any meds for the rest of my life and I notice many of you here do take some such as Propecia, etc. My first question I guess, is that necessary if one's hair loss has stopped?

I'm not trying to get my hairline of 30 years ago, just a "normal" one for a man of my age. I'll continue to read your posts and appreciate the vast amount of knowledge contined on this web-site. I've already determined that none of the Big Advertisers are getting anywhere near my head!

Thanks-

AJR

Welcome AJR. That's a good question. I suppose you could go without Propecia if you think your hairloss has stopped. It's always difficult to know if it really has stopped. Keep in mind that if it did continue slowly over time, you might need another procedure to fill in newly bald areas. Propecia helps you keep the little bit you have on top. Even a little bit of native hair helps.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I just am not a fan of constant maintenance. I think I'd rather not have the hair than have to be on medication forever. A second procedure at a much later date sounds better to me.

Thanks for the "Welcome".

AJR,

Unfortunately hair loss is progressive and does not actually stop. It may appear to do so from time to time but it can easily resume from an imperceptible advance to a very perceptible advance.

Although the back is nearly gone as well is the top like you say the sides of the top can drop to just above your ears and the crown can continue to expand outward and even down.

You need to seriously consider the use of medication to prevent further loss. If you are absolutely against it, which some are, then you need to understand that one procedure, no matter how satisfied you may be with the results, may wind up being the first procedure of two or three total that are undertaken to fill in the gaps as they develop.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians