minoxidil and reveding hair line

I am a new member to this site from the UK (only discovered the site today) and recently decided to do something about my bald spot and receding hair.I'm on Propecia (1 mg a day) and minoxidil.

My question is that when I received the minoxidil medication the instructions stated to use it only on the top of the head.If i rub this medication into the front and sides where i am receding also will it make a difference ? Indeed would it make things worse as i read on the instructions that you can expect to loose some hair at first.

Will i end up loosing hair at the front as the instrucions state and not see any hair regrowth in this area.At the moment I'm playing safe and using it on the top of my head only.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

I am a new member to this site from the UK (only discovered the site today) and recently decided to do something about my bald spot and receding hair.I'm on Propecia (1 mg a day) and minoxidil.

My question is that when I received the minoxidil medication the instructions stated to use it only on the top of the head.If i rub this medication into the front and sides where i am receding also will it make a difference ? Indeed would it make things worse as i read on the instructions that you can expect to loose some hair at first.

Will i end up loosing hair at the front as the instrucions state and not see any hair regrowth in this area.At the moment I'm playing safe and using it on the top of my head only.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

si,

Welcome to the forums. A few things you should know about minoxodil:

It is primarily effective in the crown area, though some do swear by it's effectiveness in other areas. In short, there is no harm in applying it to the front as well.

The initial hairloss you may experience from using minoxodil is called shedding. This is (believe it or not) a good sign. The hair follicles that shed hairs are becoming thicker and will regrow thicker and healthier. You may, of course, even experience new growth.

I'm glad to hear that you are also on Propecia...this will also help you maintain your existing hair.

I hope this helps.

Bill

si,

Look at how much propecia+minoxidil can achieve on this guy (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=156138)! Granted this is a BEST case scenario that probably happens in less than 1 out of 100,but it shows that minoxidil can grow hair in areas other than the crown. I have been using minoxidil for about 2 months, though my results definitely can't compare to this guy, I do see some regrowth in the midscalp area.

Hi

I wouldn't bet on those results. Most do acheive some crown growth and thickenning but that's it.. worth a try but you have to use Minoxidil ( as propecia) for life.. I don't use it personally, rather just propecia

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Well, I am using Finasteride + minoxidil myself, and I certainly don't expect to get this type of fantastic results. However, the original question asked was if applying minoxidil to other, non-crown, balding areas would make any difference. The answer is then: "Yes, but depends on the individual." So the point is, you will never find out if minoxidil can help in other areas if you don't even bother to try it in the first place.

Agreed

However, Minoxdil in clinical trials ony produced regrowth in the crown region. There is no documented data to suggest otherwise

Good luck though! you never know ??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

This is a good topic. Is it not true that most clinical trials only focused on the crown?

My own experience with Minox tells me that it does affect the frontal hair in a positive way. I used Minox years ago. I only had frontal thinning with no crown loss, so I only applied it to the front. I did notice a slight thickening of the front. Over time (years), one tends to lose faith in it because there is little change. A level of doubt starts to creep in. Unfortunately I came to a point where I said heck with this, and I quit. As documented, I lost the hair it was preserving and became noticeably thinner.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi Gorp

I wish it did however, there have been no claims by Rogaine that it does and it specifically mentioned only the crown in it's studies.. Don't you think they would publish the least bit of data if it implied?

Not that I don't feel it hurts to apply on the front but again.. Let's not give false hope.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!