Propecia-useful for thickening hair? help needed

htownballa

I am a 24 year old male that is kinda freaking out at the amount I have thinned in the past year. I have had a receding hairline for the past few years, but during the past year I have experienced a significantly accelerated thinning in my frontal/temple areas.I started taking propecia a few days ago.

My goal is for my hair to thicken in the frontal areas where you can see my scalp esp when its styled. If I continue to thin out along the front and sides I will consider my hairloss regimen to be a failure. Should I stick to the Propecia or add Minox in combination to achieve this thickening. Im really worried about the "minox life sentence" tho as I've read from many posters that its very messy/inconvenient to do twice a day for the rest of ur life. If I do decide to add the minox, I would add it on just the frontal thinning areas of my scalp. I just dont want to jump the gun cause I'm desperate, but at the same time I don't want to lose precious hair. What to do??? Please help!

Hi htownballa,

Unfortunately there are no cures for hairloss and only treatments. The only 2 FDA approved treatments for hairloss is Propecia and Minoxidil. It doesn't matter what treatment you undergo they are both a life sentence, i.e. you will need to take them indefinately if you want to retain their benefit.

Basically I would start with Propecia for at least 6-12 months to judge its efficacy as it is a relatively 'safe drug' and is convenient as you only need to take a pill a day. If you are unsatisfied with the results, you can add Minoxidil to your regimen although it is a messy regimen and I would only recommend it if you plan on using it indefinately.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Good advice Jake. Im going to try just the propecia for now and see what happens. I'm thinking if my condition gets a lot worse in the next few yrs despite the propecia, i can get a HT. But are people typically dependant on propecia or minox after a hair transplant?

Originally posted by samy_dram:

Is there any equivalent for Propecia. Can anyone suggest any?

I'm not sure why you need a Propecia "equivalent" other than price. If that's your concern you can always quarter Proscar. I did that myself quite successfully. For more about quartering Proscar to save money, click here .

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...